Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Evil Elves or Good Drows which one is more rare?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  14:06:17  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I want to know if the Good Drows or Evil Elves are more rare? Anyone got an idea on this?

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  14:38:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good elves are the rarest.

You know, the ones that won't kill you if you give a tree dirty looks.

Drow are the most honest of Elves - they want to kill you, but unlike the others, they pretty-much let you know that right up front. No tidal waves killing human cities filled with children, no mass holocausts on entire nations (of their own species)... just a sword to the gut. The Drow themselves are the victims of one such extinction-event, simply because they disagreed with the policies of an aggressive, tyrannical elven state. For that crime they were imprisoned beneath the earth (away from the nurturing sun), and were forced to eat each other, driving most of them insane (YES, that IS canon).

Its only a matter of time before they return to the surface and destroy the true evil.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  14:52:41  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At best only 25 percent of Drow even said a pray to Eilistraee and likely not all of them would be considered good, just not Evil enough to have Lolth as patron deity.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  14:55:52  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Depends of how you define Evil when talking about surface Elves, some believe there are more Drow that Surface Elves, if this is correct Good Drow indeed might be a larger number. Also as in all things it also depends of what period of time you are talking about.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  15:08:46  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I mean is the percentages of good aligned drows (D&D terms, not philospohicial defining) among total drow population vs the percentage of evil aligned surface elves among total surface elven population
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  15:42:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since we don't even remotely have a total population of either, I'll speak in percentages of population (my personal view is that population wise the two are similar... with the surface elves in smaller populations but more wide-spread). I'm going to say that surface elves are more inclined to evil percentage wise than drow are inclined to good. I state this because hate is a powerful thing, much easier to succumb to than to stick to the ideals of good (or put in another way, the dark side is easy to follow young Jedi). Given that drow come from a society where evil and hate are actually appreciated and life is harder and more dangerous than the surface, very few would have the luxury of considering other options and still survive. Meanwhile, the surface elves have an easier life, but they face constant encroachment by "lesser" races (with logging, raids by other races seeking magic, raids by slavers who want to fill their pockets by providing an elf female on the auction block, etc...), and this kind of thing will easily bring about racist sentiments even amongst well intentioned elves... over time these sentiments may turn darker.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  15:54:21  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you guys give me some examples of evil elf FR characters in FR novels? I want to read on this issue.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  16:00:03  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaith Craulnober, Shevarash, and there's been multiple personages from the Eldreth Veluuthra. I recommend reading the Eldreth Veluuthra wiki entry for some site information.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Eldreth_Veluuthra

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  16:08:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by farinal

Can you guys give me some examples of evil elf FR characters in FR novels? I want to read on this issue.

Kymil Nimesin was one. Members of the Eldreth Veluuthra are evil, as well.

I quite agree with the sentiments expressed by sleyvas.

On top of that, from a story-telling standpoint, good drow should remain exceedingly rare. It makes for good story when someone rebels against racial ideals and embraces a wholly opposite way of life. The impact of this is greatly diminished when every other drow is doing the same thing. If the trend towards rebellious good-aligned drow continues, the evil ones will become the minority!

I quite understand the appeal of drow, and I myself have succumbed to the desire to create a drow NPC. But my guy is evil. If I was to play a drow, it would be an evil drow in a campaign of evil drow -- I prefer original ideas, and the good drow concept is too overdone for my liking.

In my Realms, there are three good drow -- the ones already mentioned in canon Realmslore, prior to 3E's drow novels. I don't need or want any more than that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  17:19:52  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drow are the better elves *nod nod*

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  17:22:30  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
jaamdath was a war machine and needed to be stopped and you know it markustay.....

as to the answer of the op's question

if by alignment, both would be rare, you'd come along finding an evil elf more than a good drow

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  17:52:32  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While evil elves are rare , there are considerably more of them than goodly drow especially following the demise of the Masked Lady.
Though of course many of them , such as the Staryms of Myth Drannor do not consider themselves evil but rather a Superior race, which apparently gives them the right to do whatever they want.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  19:00:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

By their nature, good drow should be VERY rare. As for elves, I don't know. I couldn't care less.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  19:06:30  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Based on Elminster in Myth Drannor, I felt the Staryms would fit right in Menzoberranzan or any other given drow city.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul
Go to Top of Page

Lunarbeams
Acolyte

43 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  19:23:57  Show Profile Send Lunarbeams a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The best way putting The Drow are more honest being who they are than the elves are. As for being nihilistic and sociopaths Drow will admit to it gladly. Elves done evil yeah if they didn't we wouldn't have the Fey'ri running around. So it really depends on the individual more than societal one of the Drow.

"Software are easy to solve because they do not have egos. "
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  21:27:07  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lunarbeams

The best way putting The Drow are more honest being who they are than the elves are. As for being nihilistic and sociopaths Drow will admit to it gladly. Elves done evil yeah if they didn't we wouldn't have the Fey'ri running around. So it really depends on the individual more than societal one of the Drow.

I don't think you'd need an elf parent to be evil to produce a fey'ri offspring. Elves of either gender could be tricked, seduced, or violated by a demon regardless of their alignment. I agree that some would go along with the idea willingly (for whatever reason), but in my opinion, not as many as through the above examples.

That said, it would seem to me that there are more evil elves than good drow, reasons which having already been discussed in this scroll. Good drow are Drizzt, Liriel, and Qilue as 'named' souls, plus undefined NPC worshipers of Eilistraee. I would not disallow a drow as a player character, but they could not be 'good'. At best, an evil-leaning neutral alignment, and they would still be saddled with the load of racial prejudices that typify drow.

- OMH
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  22:25:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

quote:

I don't think you'd need an elf parent to be evil to produce a fey'ri offspring. Elves of either gender could be tricked, seduced, or violated by a demon regardless of their alignment. I agree that some would go along with the idea willingly (for whatever reason), but in my opinion, not as many as through the above examples.

While you are correct, most of the fey'ri in the Realms were created deliberately -- those elven parents knew exactly what they were doing, and willingly made the choice.

Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  23:26:04  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think this can really be quantified... although Ed Greenwood stated how many non-evil drow there were in "Drow of the Underdark" the same can't be said of surface elves. I assume there are as many evil elves as dwarves, halflings, gnomes and humans...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  00:40:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

While you are correct, most of the fey'ri in the Realms were created deliberately -- those elven parents knew exactly what they were doing, and willingly made the choice.

Aye. And Eric [the designer/creator of the fey'ri] has confirmed this in the past.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rofocale
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  02:40:20  Show Profile Send Rofocale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That said, it would seem to me that there are more evil elves than good drow, reasons which having already been discussed in this scroll. Good drow are Drizzt, Liriel, and Qilue as 'named' souls, plus undefined NPC worshipers of Eilistraee. I would not disallow a drow as a player character, but they could not be 'good'. At best, an evil-leaning neutral alignment, and they would still be saddled with the load of racial prejudices that typify drow.

- OMH

What about Zak?

Edited by - Rofocale on 21 Dec 2012 02:41:11
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  05:02:53  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually the so called goodly elves are not all that good. With human expansion and the need to clear space for more residences, who can rightly say who is good or bad? A Sembian contractor needs to clear forests to have a place for families to live but elves dont like their trees being taken so they start all kinds of trouble...or maybe its just cause i dont like elves...

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  05:43:47  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well you should remember invading humans are not exactly good either. Often Evil acts causes those attack to use Evil as the quickest way to fight back.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  05:57:02  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by farinal

One of the main antagonists from the Blades of the Moonsea trilogy is Rhovann Disarnnyl. Evil-bad Moon elf.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  06:22:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

One of the antagonists from the Counselors and Kings Trilogy by Elaine Cunningham is an evil elven wizard (and magehound) named Kiva.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  06:48:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On drow: A good drow is one in a million. Extremely, extremely rare. Every drow I have ever played (as a PC or NPC) is either evil or neutral *at best.*

On elves: An evil surface elf is uncommon, maybe one in ten or one in twenty at the least. Elves fall prey to arrogance, racism, and intolerance all the time, and it leads them down an evil path.

So evil elves are substantially more common than good drow.

On fey'ri: the initial daemonfey (the Dlardrageths) born into the Realms were indeed the product of knowing interbreeding with demons. The involved houses didn't think what they were doing was "evil" (or perhaps more accurately, they didn't care)--their priority was strengthening the bloodline. From that point, half-demons bred with elves to create fey'ri, who bred with other fey'ri or untainted but willing elf allies.

After the fey'ri re-emerged under Sarya Dlardrageth in the 14th century, according to Cloak and Dagger and Races of Faerun, they expanded their breeding program among mostly sun elves who were "recruited" (willingly or forcefully) to the cause. After the main host of the fey'ri was destroyed in the Great Return to Cormanthor, the last survivors of the race scattered to the winds and bred however and whenever they chose--the fey'ri still alive in the late 15th century were not united in a common breeding plan. (See my recent Fey'ri article for more details.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  13:00:08  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When it comes to any race, excluding outsiders, I like to think that truly good and truly evil members of said race are a minority and that the bulk of every population is neutral/unaligned. Even among races such as drow, orcs, duergar, and goblinoids- I think true evil requires a level of effort in maliciousness, and that most members of a given race simply don't care enough to go that extra mile. Likewise, true good requires an effort in altruism that even decent people aren't going to go out of their way for.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  14:05:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Actually, that's not necessarily true. Weren't there elven families that were kidnapping elf females for forced breeding (it wasn't necessarily the Dlardrageths... but I could have sworn I read it)? If they had such, I don't see them giving such unfortunates a "break" in between breeding cycles unless it were to simply keep enough caretakers available to handle the newborns.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  14:08:42  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

On drow: A good drow is one in a million. Extremely, extremely rare. Every drow I have ever played (as a PC or NPC) is either evil or neutral *at best.*

On elves: An evil surface elf is uncommon, maybe one in ten or one in twenty at the least. Elves fall prey to arrogance, racism, and intolerance all the time, and it leads them down an evil path.

So evil elves are substantially more common than good drow.

On fey'ri: the initial daemonfey (the Dlardrageths) born into the Realms were indeed the product of knowing interbreeding with demons. The involved houses didn't think what they were doing was "evil" (or perhaps more accurately, they didn't care)--their priority was strengthening the bloodline. From that point, half-demons bred with elves to create fey'ri, who bred with other fey'ri or untainted but willing elf allies.

After the fey'ri re-emerged under Sarya Dlardrageth in the 14th century, according to Cloak and Dagger and Races of Faerun, they expanded their breeding program among mostly sun elves who were "recruited" (willingly or forcefully) to the cause. After the main host of the fey'ri was destroyed in the Great Return to Cormanthor, the last survivors of the race scattered to the winds and bred however and whenever they chose--the fey'ri still alive in the late 15th century were not united in a common breeding plan. (See my recent Fey'ri article for more details.)

Cheers

ah, kk, I knew I read it somewhere that another group of fey'ri were doing forced breeding.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  15:45:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Actually, that's not necessarily true. Weren't there elven families that were kidnapping elf females for forced breeding (it wasn't necessarily the Dlardrageths... but I could have sworn I read it)? If they had such, I don't see them giving such unfortunates a "break" in between breeding cycles unless it were to simply keep enough caretakers available to handle the newborns.

I do not recall reading anything about it being any kind of involuntary. In fact, we have this information from page 73 of Monsters of Faerūn (bolding mine):

quote:
The fey'ris are descended from three lesser noble houses of the gold elves, part of the High Forest kingdom of Siluvanede. Thousands of years ago, these elves fell under the sway of House Dlardrageth -- a family of half-fiend elves exiled from the eastern elven lands of Arcorar. When Siluvanede was defeated by the moon elves of Sharrven and Eaerlann (their neighbors in the High Forest), members of these houses bred with demons in an attempt to strengthen their bloodlines.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  18:53:45  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I do not recall reading anything about it being any kind of involuntary. In fact, we have this information from page 73 of Monsters of Faerūn (bolding mine):

quote:
The fey'ris are descended from three lesser noble houses of the gold elves, part of the High Forest kingdom of Siluvanede. Thousands of years ago, these elves fell under the sway of House Dlardrageth -- a family of half-fiend elves exiled from the eastern elven lands of Arcorar. When Siluvanede was defeated by the moon elves of Sharrven and Eaerlann (their neighbors in the High Forest), members of these houses bred with demons in an attempt to strengthen their bloodlines.

I do, in the silverymoon sourcebook for 3e, it siad in some place aroun there that elves travelling in that area had an % chance of being kidnapped by the feyri for breeding purposes.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2012 :  19:27:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I do, in the silverymoon sourcebook for 3e, it siad in some place aroun there that elves travelling in that area had an % chance of being kidnapped by the feyri for breeding purposes.

If that's indeed correct, it still doesn't change the fact that most of the fey'ri in the Realms were created thru voluntary means -- those ancient families chose to interbreed with demons, and they are the the source of most of the fey'ri. Even if the returned fey'ri are kidnapping other elves for breeding purposes, there wouldn't be all that many new fey'ri, compared to the original batch.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000