Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Neverwinter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2004 :  02:02:42  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Neverwinter, other than what was mentioned in Neverwinter Nights. Sage, as you answered Elrond's question so well, feel free to visit this topic also.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2004 :  05:54:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't have access to my tomes at the moment...as I left for the university shortly after answering Elrond's post. I'll see what I can put together when I get home.

Of course, if anyone else can help Shadowlord out in the mean time, don't wait for me...It's the information that matters...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2004 :  06:52:27  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You looking for anything in particular? I don't know if I can help you, but it might be easier (especially with Sage, and all the stuff he's got) if we knew what you're looking for exactly.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2004 :  12:50:09  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about Neverwinter, other than what was mentioned in Neverwinter Nights. Sage, as you answered Elrond's question so well, feel free to visit this topic also.

You need to download the campaign setting called "The North" from the TSR website.

IIRC it has a large section specifically related to Neverwinter and the area around it. The setting is 2nd edition but the detail should be largely unchanged.

You'll find the (FREE) download here:

hhttp://www.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/thenorth.asp

Edited by - kahonen on 20 Jan 2004 12:50:54
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2004 :  16:05:00  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank ye, Kahonen, and Bookwyrm, I'd like to know anything else about Neverwinter. Anything you can find would be acceptable. I'm not picky. Well, most of the time.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  05:11:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still haven't had an opportunity to put too much together Shadowlord. Although I have been collecting a few minor references from the source Kahonen mentioned, a number of other 2e FR tomes, and some online sources. I should have it ready soon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2004 :  05:25:14  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank ye, Sage. I know how busy your schedule is......

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Hymn
Senior Scribe

Sweden
514 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2004 :  22:27:45  Show Profile Send Hymn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Info on Neverwinter can be found in "The North" and Volo's Guide to the North" the contain about the same info on the place, but some differe. I remember seeing a map of the place somewhere, but Lord Nasher is known to keep them scant, less a tactical advantege be gained for his enemies. Also some info can be found in FR5:

A good read of FR5 will show that Neverwinter was originally a Northman
settlement named Eigersstor. Northman settlement of the Sword Coast/North
was a leisurely progression "upwards" from the area of Baldur's Gate. A good
look at the sources will help you chart the progression: The first
settlements around present day Waterdeep occur in 52 DR. Therefore
settlements like Tavaray (where the Lizard Marsh is now - see Ed's
Athalantar article) would have been some of if not the first Northman
settlements. Let's give a date of c. -50 DR for the founding of Tavaray. If
the area of Waterdeep is settled in 52 DR then my guess is that Eigersstor
comes into being in c. 85 DR, as humans slowly creep up the coast. Once they
hit Illusk (and its Netherese refugee bloodlines) then expansion stops
northward and starts to shift inland. We then have the founding of such
settlements as Elembar, Uthtower, Yarlith and Athalantar. Also note that the
elven realm of Illefarn occupies the same geographical space as Neverwinter.
Volo's Guide to the North mentions the elven Lord Never whose estates were
near what is present-day Neverwinter. Lord Never is noted as leading the
armies of Illefarn in battle against Illusk (before the founding of
Eigersstor I would suggest). It is the encroaching Northman settlement of
the North that finally leads to the dissolution of this great elven kingdom
(my guess would be c. 350 DR). The final years of that kingdom's tenure
would see it give up the coast to the humans and slowly accept them (hence
germinating the seed for the founding of the Fallen Kingdom - *unsubtle hint
time* I would suggest that everyone interested in FR history pick up the
next DUNGEON issue, it will be quite worthwhile).

Another thing that undoubtedly would have occured is conflict between
Neverwinter and Illusk. Now, detailing such conflicts/clashes would be
totally made-up - there is no published realmslore on this topic - but it
sounds realistic to me. Especially considering the nature of Illusk (a
magocracy and legacy of Netheril - basically surviving alone in the Savage
Frontier for centuries - their attitude to human "outlanders" from the South
would be none too good, to say the least).

(Note this is an excerpt of a post made on the Realms L archive.)

Hope it helped some

Sauro moki kara ochiro - Even monkeys falls from trees.

The path that leads to truth is littered with the bodies of the ignorant - Miyamoto Musashi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000