Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Reasons I will avoid 5e and 4e FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Gustaveren
Learned Scribe

Denmark
197 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  12:45:59  Show Profile  Visit Gustaveren's Homepage Send Gustaveren a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The more I think upon it, the less interesting do it sound with 5e FR
Personally, do I want realms there is not going to have the spellplague and the timejump, that is, it does not matter what WOTC do with the 5e Realms.
They will not be the realms to me. I have kind of concluded, that my existing roleplaying collection is good enough for my needs and that I do not want to read novels or play computer games in the 4e or 5e timeframe since I want to avoid being reminded about the time jump and spell plague.
I understand that WOTC needs to keep the timejump and spellplague in order to avoid kicking out their new paying customer base and I am fine with that.
It does not make sense to upset their new customers when it seems impossible to convince old customers like me to buy the new products.
I do not want any of the "support for all ages source books" since I do not want to read in any sourcebook there will remind me about the spellplague and the timejump.
It is possible other persons have a different point of view, but new FR sourcebooks no longer contain the magical attraction as they used to do prior to the spellplague and timejump.
I used to wish to know what would happen of exciting stuff to my beloved realms, now it is dreading to hear what new disasters there occur.
The time jump are an absolute no no, it is not just a question of getting back the feeling "this is the realms", it is also the nostalgia feeling for old campaigns and time spend with friends.
It simply does not work when you jump a 100 years into the future.
I know I can not get what I would need in order for the 5e FR products to have any interest for me and I am fine with that.
I do believe, that WOTC is wasting their time and money on a fools crusade trying to win back old customers

Mapolq
Senior Scribe

Brazil
466 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  13:44:17  Show Profile Send Mapolq a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can sympathise somewhat, I have little to no interest in whatever lore people come up with for the post-1385 Realms. Naturally, this means that if a book is split, say, 50-50 with "future" lore and "past" lore, that book only holds about 50% of the normal value to me. I don't think the new lore "taints" the old Realms, however. If a book has enough content that I can use, or if that content is just so good that it's worth paying double price for, I'll happily buy new sourcebooks. In the same way, I'll be happy to buy novels set before 1385 DR as well (though I've never been much of a novel reader, and only own two Realms series, so that's kinda moot).

Never sleep under the jackfruit tree.

Tales of Moonsea - A Neverwinter Nights 2 Persistent World. Check out our website at http://www.talesofmoonsea.com and our video trailer at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am304WqOAAo&feature=youtu.be, as well as our thread here at Candlekeep: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12955

My campaign thread: http://www.forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16447
Go to Top of Page

Gustaveren
Learned Scribe

Denmark
197 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  13:56:57  Show Profile  Visit Gustaveren's Homepage Send Gustaveren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well, since I have almost every FR product ever written would interesting past 1385 lore have to be unique. I do not want to spend money buying something there is just a reprint of existing lore or something there could easily be extrapolated from existing lore or something there was written with the purpose to justify any of the post 1385 changes.
I realised, it would be a lot easier to develop my own lore that I would be comfortable with compared to trying to find the lore gems in new products while simultaneously feeling sadness due to reading about the nightmare destruction of the realms.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  14:41:52  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're not alone, Gustaveren. You're very much not alone.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  14:55:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm kind of holding out hope that the 5e lore will return the realms to a semblance of what it was with enough change to make it something different in a good way. The whole points of light idea where the various countries aren't interacting as much and the countryside isn't generally safe, that's not what I'm interested in. Why? To me, that's anathema to the whole open world that was the realms. I've recently been reading a lot of non-realms material. Granted a lot of it is in the roots of sword and sorcery lore from the 70's and earlier (specifically, Feist and Moorcock). What I'm noting is that I'm growing bored with it. I really like the byproducts of shared world stories when done right, and a shared world campaign is even better. Now, if they don't do it right this time around, will I drop them like a hot potato? Possibly. What I've been doing as part of a side movement is exploring other campaign material that I've seen. I've looked a little bit at Golarion and some of it is interesting, and while I've enjoyed the 3 novels I've read, they're missing something that I can't quantify. I've looked harder at the old swords & sorcery "Scarred Lands" setting, and I find I really like a lot of it, but I also know I'll never see a new novel from the setting. I do know there's other shared world settings out there for novels though, so maybe one of them is worth looking into. I would prefer not to make that leap though.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

RyanATX
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  15:04:09  Show Profile Send RyanATX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your decision. I have never seen the big deal regarding 4E (now 5E, I guess). If someone doesn't like the edition, don't play it. I am perfectly happy sticking to my 3.5 stuff. I read 4E books and think there are some great ones (Kemp and Byers come to mind). I'm a big "to each his/her own" guy, so regardless of what edition you subscribe to: Enjoy!

It is a game after all, have fun when and where you want in the Forgotten Realms, whether that be the old grey box or 5E (or somewhere in the middle:)
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  15:32:48  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm with you Gustaveren...I only will read the new novels ...I will see the 5th edition system(4th edition was the worst EVER!!!) and if they continue this bull**** i will stay forever to the 2nd and 3.5 edition!!!

Mod Edit: Please watch your language, as younglings do regularly frequent these halls.

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Oct 2012 03:21:30
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  17:18:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Truth be told, the only reason why I am supporting the post 1385 DR Realms is because I think its the only way we will ever see any FR lore any more. I am hoping we will be getting FAR MORE pre-plague material then post-plague.

If not, and 'support for all eras' is just a royal stroking, then I am out of here. I'd be gone already but I have a LOT of faith in Ed, and I think FR has a chance to turn around. We will see.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  18:16:28  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, having read Elminster's Forgotten Realms, I can say without hesitation that almost every single page of the book is "pre-spellplague" in nearly 100% of content. There was only minor recognition of times that I have no use for.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  18:45:44  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm kind of surprised with the stubbornness some gamers show here. I think WoTC is doing a big thing by trying to fix what they broke. I think they deserve at least a look once the final product comes out. But then again, who am I kidding? I don't play the game so I don't care what kind of game they put out. I just want to read a good story and they have provided that even in the Spellplague era and I am confident that they will continue to provide good stories to read in the upcoming era.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  18:47:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am a huge fan of the pre-Sellplague era, and I have taken much flack, over the years, because of my dislike of the timejump and the Sellplague. I'm not even a huge fan of the 3E-era Realms; my ideal Realms would reset to the day after Cloak & Dagger and move forward from there, with some events repeated, some expanded on, and many omitted.

That said, I have long said that a person should make an informed decision. And to me, in this case, an informed decision means waiting until 5E and the NextRealms are actually out, and only after looking at that material, making a decision for or against.

As much as I'm a 2E fanboy, I'm eager to see what's going to happen. We've got some talented loresmiths working on the NextRealms, and Ed himself told me, via email, that he was excited about what was going on. If nothing else, the words of Ed would have me interested. While I'm not a fan of the "we're keeping everything that went before!" approach, I'm hopeful that they can return the feel of the original Realms.

So I would counsel you and anyone else who may be on the fence over either the 5E ruleset or the NextRealms: at least wait until it's out, read the books in the store or borrow them from a friend, and then decide whether or not it's worth your money.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  19:06:46  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gustaveren

The more I think upon it, the less interesting do it sound with 5e FR
Personally, do I want realms there is not going to have the spellplague and the timejump, that is, it does not matter what WOTC do with the 5e Realms.
They will not be the realms to me. I have kind of concluded, that my existing roleplaying collection is good enough for my needs and that I do not want to read novels or play computer games in the 4e or 5e timeframe since I want to avoid being reminded about the time jump and spell plague.
I understand that WOTC needs to keep the timejump and spellplague in order to avoid kicking out their new paying customer base and I am fine with that.
It does not make sense to upset their new customers when it seems impossible to convince old customers like me to buy the new products.
I do not want any of the "support for all ages source books" since I do not want to read in any sourcebook there will remind me about the spellplague and the timejump.
It is possible other persons have a different point of view, but new FR sourcebooks no longer contain the magical attraction as they used to do prior to the spellplague and timejump.
I used to wish to know what would happen of exciting stuff to my beloved realms, now it is dreading to hear what new disasters there occur.
The time jump are an absolute no no, it is not just a question of getting back the feeling "this is the realms", it is also the nostalgia feeling for old campaigns and time spend with friends.
It simply does not work when you jump a 100 years into the future.
I know I can not get what I would need in order for the 5e FR products to have any interest for me and I am fine with that.
I do believe, that WOTC is wasting their time and money on a fools crusade trying to win back old customers

This is totally how I feel and think. Word to word.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  19:31:55  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're in very good and ever numerous company, Gustaveren.

That said, and agreeing with you 100%, my pre-order of "Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms" just shipped, and I think it will be better than anything since the 2nd Edition sourcebooks. And the lore/setting is all pre-Smellplague.

If we buy that, and support it, we can hope for more like it. Vote with your wallet.
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  20:10:09  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah despise I think like the OP I also ordered both Menzoberranzan and Ed's book. I give Wizards credit at least for trying something positive for a change.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  20:39:28  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to figure out what the purpose of this thread is. I rewrote that sentence a couple times so that I could make it sound less abrupt. In the end, I stuck with it. I'm not trying to denigrate your opinons.

Maybe we can have a consolidated thread on the topic, like we do for so many other ones?
Go to Top of Page

Gustaveren
Learned Scribe

Denmark
197 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  20:47:20  Show Profile  Visit Gustaveren's Homepage Send Gustaveren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, It is a good question matt, I had been writing that post when reading in eric's 5e thread, but before posting did I remember, he prefer if we stick to discuss solutions in that thread, that is, I better create a new thread about my feelings for 5e
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  20:49:52  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I am a huge fan of the pre-Sellplague era, and I have taken much flack, over the years, because of my dislike of the timejump and the Sellplague. I'm not even a huge fan of the 3E-era Realms; my ideal Realms would reset to the day after Cloak & Dagger and move forward from there, with some events repeated, some expanded on, and many omitted.

That said, I have long said that a person should make an informed decision. And to me, in this case, an informed decision means waiting until 5E and the NextRealms are actually out, and only after looking at that material, making a decision for or against.

As much as I'm a 2E fanboy, I'm eager to see what's going to happen. We've got some talented loresmiths working on the NextRealms, and Ed himself told me, via email, that he was excited about what was going on. If nothing else, the words of Ed would have me interested. While I'm not a fan of the "we're keeping everything that went before!" approach, I'm hopeful that they can return the feel of the original Realms.

So I would counsel you and anyone else who may be on the fence over either the 5E ruleset or the NextRealms: at least wait until it's out, read the books in the store or borrow them from a friend, and then decide whether or not it's worth your money.

there is truth in your post.

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  21:08:16  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin
If we buy that, and support it, we can hope for more like it. Vote with your wallet.

I'm going to go one better and wait until all of you peruse, evaluate and post here on what you think of the various new Realms books, and then make my decision.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  21:40:13  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I'm kind of holding out hope that the 5e lore will return the realms to a semblance of what it was with enough change to make it something different in a good way.

This is it exactly.

I bought the FRCG, the FRPG, and Neverwinter, all for 4th Edition, and I don't regret it. Had I not, I would not have been justified in the admittedly blistering critiques I often gave it (though Neverwinter is a superb product, with only a couple of details I find irritating). Granted, I am a completionist, so I pretty much needed to have all things Realms regardless.

Seeing as we have a good idea of what's happening in a broad sense - a geographical reset - we are left to speculate how they will treat all the other aspects. We know it isn't being reset in any other fashion, but that begs the question, how will the geography affect the social and geopolitical aspects of the Realms?

Will Baldur's Gate still be the largest city on the Sword Coast, or will Waterdeep reclaim that distinction? Candlekeep will have the ground it's located on pushed back to land, certainly, but will people be able to step outside and immediately stroll off down the Lion's Way?

In short, will it be 'the Realms', as it were? I say that next to the horrendous mistakes of 4th Edition, it will certainly be a vast improvement. Wizbro knows it let us down once - I am willing to bet they'll take steps to insure they don't repeat it.

- OMH

Edited by - Old Man Harpell on 15 Oct 2012 21:41:31
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  21:53:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure Waterdeep will regain that distinction. Or at least, I hope to make it so.

For those on the fence, thanks for keeping the faith and being patient. We're doing our best to ensure that the Realms going forward honors all that has come before, honors the core of the setting, and is the best Realms yet. The only thing I can do (or any of us) is write, design, and advise as best I can, and that's what I'll be putting out there.

Those who have decided not to give the next vision of the Realms a chance, well, there's nothing I can say to change your mind, nor should I. It's entirely your decision. Farewell for the nonce, and you are very welcome if you change your mind at any point.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  22:27:14  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By Helm

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2012 :  23:30:17  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find it difficult to make any judgement calls on 5e Forgotten Realms. The only information we have on the subject was presented at GenCon and it is vague at best. The sundering team inspires some confidence of progress IMO. However, if the spell plague and the time jump are deal breakers despite the stated intention of making a new Realms that feels like the Realms again, then there isn't much to talk about. The only concrete information that I know of is that the time jump and spell plague are unfortunately staying around. However, that by itself is not enough to lose my interest.

quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell
I bought the FRCG, the FRPG, and Neverwinter, all for 4th Edition, and I don't regret it. Had I not, I would not have been justified in the admittedly blistering critiques I often gave it (though Neverwinter is a superb product, with only a couple of details I find irritating).

You can read the books for free at a bookstore without supporting WotC and still be perfectly justified in leveling blistering critiques. That being said, I unfortunately fell into the same trap and bought the 4e FRCG and 4e FRPG.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  00:12:43  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I am a huge fan of the pre-Spellplague era, and I have taken much flack, over the years, because of my dislike of the timejump and the Spellplague. I'm not even a huge fan of the 3E-era Realms; my ideal Realms would reset to the day after Cloak & Dagger and move forward from there, with some events repeated, some expanded on, and many omitted.

Seems you mispelled the word, so I fixed it for you. No apologies needed

As a Fan of 4E's timeline and most of the changes they brought about, I can only hope that they produce stuff that everyone can use, regardless of timeframe. That, I think, would be an awesome achivement. Like the Neverwinter Campaign Setting (4E), I'm fairly certain I can use a LOT of lore in that book for my Forgotten Realms games, regardless of editions. Same with the Menzoberranzan book as well.

I'm a firm believer that 90% of the Realms material for D&D:Next should be lore-filled. As much as I do love mechanics and crunch, I want it to be Realms-specific where it needs to be Realms specific but spaced accordingly. I don't think we need another Player's Guide to Faerun filled with 30 Specialties/Feats, 15 Paragon/Presgite Classes, 80 monsters, and a detailed DDN NPC stat-block. If they want to incorporate ways to make your character more Realmsian, then fine. Racial charts (Chondathan, Damaran, Shou, etc.) could be available along with maybe some traits of other races, like Shield Dwarf and Sun elves. But that's mostly for making it more FR than "min/max" options.

But I do agree with Gustaveren that if it's WotC's goal to bring back people from Paizo or from their AD&D campaigns or BECMI or yadda-yadda with the next Rule-set, then they're going to be in for a rough launch. Many of those people have abandoned WotC and, sadly, the Realms for 'greener pastures' and they haven't looked back. I can only hope that enough people are interested and devote at least some time to the playtest aspects so they can at least get on-board with the new edition even with little investment so far.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  03:20:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really can't quite understand this perspective, sometimes. It's not my intent here to criticise the rightful opinions of other scribes [your feelings are you own on the matter], but I'm a little confused as to how one can wilfully avoid one interpretation of a particular product, but still have stacks of examples of a previous interpretation of that same product. Are each of you claiming that the previous interpretations were somehow flawless when compared to later interpretations? Was the 3e Realms devoid of crazy and/or contradictory stuff when compared to what the 4e Realms came to offer? [Just as an example.]

Quite frankly, I've invested too much of my own time and writings in the FORGOTTEN REALMS to walk away now. It would just feel too disingenuous for me to shy away from what creative potential the next iteration of the FORGOTTEN REALMS may have to offer my own games. Every edition has stuff I love and stuff that I don't like quite so much. Material that I've used again and again, and material that I've only every read once and never again. I expect the 5e Realms to offer much the same.

[I can appreciate how 1e/2e FR might be held as the "gold standard" of the setting. It's something I can definitely share in. But at the same time, there was also plenty of stuff about those earlier editions that I didn't like so much. Just as there were elements of 3e that drove me crazy because of inconsistencies and the like with previous lore. And, again, with 4e. Though, it hasn't stopped me from drawing from what I've come to like [and, yes, even love] from the later editions. Especially the 3rd and 4th edition Realms settings. So, I guess what I'm ramblingly trying to ask here, is... how can a scribe have one particular set of feelings for a previous iteration of a product, but not apply those same feeling to a later iteration of the very same product?]

Which is why, I suppose, that I never make a decision on whether or not to purchase something until I've finally had the opportunity to look over the final product myself.

And while I understand that many folk here have some grudge or agenda that they feel has to be maintained because of their feelings toward a particular edition of the FORGOTTEN REALMS, it's not something I can share in. I can't convince myself to avoid an upcoming release based solely on what little snippets we may be able to gather from various online sources. Especially for a work that is still very much in progress.

So, I'm content to sit and wait. Learn what we can, and then a little more. Until I see what the final book[s] will be like.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  03:34:06  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My only 2 cents is we don't need a new edition every 5 years that changes rules and everything(Ed should have final say in that). And we certainly do not need realm shaking events that force time jumps and character deaths unless Ed sayeth so. Most of all, we don't need restrictions on what timeline authors can write in just to force people to buy updated editions

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  04:01:06  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will admit it. I have just come back to these hallowed halls after leaving shortly after 4th edition released. I was not a fan of the changes. However, that's not why I left Candlekeep.

I left because I noticed that I was increasingly dwelling on the negative, and only chiming in when I was complaining about something. I wanted better for my fellow scribes, and it was something that I couldn't do at the time. Rather than damp down the enthusiasm of anyone that was enjoying the Realms, I decided I needed to go elsewhere for a while.

I also realized that, much like how I came back to gaming after leaving for a few years, I realized that the things that mean a lot to me are very hard for me to leave behind. Let me clue you in. I love Star Wars, Spider-Man, and Batman in addition to the Forgotten Realms. I've been on some roller coasters over the last few years, let me tell you . . . ;)

That having been said, I've now see things that I really do love savaged horribly, twisted, turned, marketed, and mass produced . . . but I've seen those same things come back around again to much more closely resemble the things that I loved about them.

Long story short, it looks like things could turn back around again. I want to be here to greet the good and embrace the positive, and I'm sorry I bailed on the keep (although I'm glad I didn't spend the last few years looking for reasons to be upset and bringing other people down, either).

My comments aren't a reflection on anyone else's positions, it's just a personal reflection that the topic inspired me to post.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  04:04:12  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

My only 2 cents is we don't need a new edition every 5 years that changes rules and everything(Ed should have final say in that). And we certainly do not need realm shaking events that force time jumps and character deaths unless Ed sayeth so. Most of all, we don't need restrictions on what timeline authors can write in just to force people to buy updated editions

I agree with nearly everything you just said! I think, however, that Ed doesn't really have any say in the Edition or rules changing as a system. Perhaps only it's effect in the terms of how those changes are brought upon in the Forgotten Realms. But, from reading a HOST of informaton on the Playtest and having run the game a few times with our group, I doubt we'll need any sort of "cosmic realignment" to incorporate the rules of D&D:Next into the Realms. Frankly, I didn't think there needed to be one for 4E either, but that's neither here nor there.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  04:04:39  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

I disagree. In fact, I strongly disagree.

No disrespect to Ed, he's a genius and I hold him in high respect, as well as considerable gratitude for creating this wonderful world that we all enjoy, but he made a conscious and willing decision to sell the publication rights and creative control of the Forgotten Realms setting. No one put a gun to his head and forced him to sign it over, he made his choice and now he and all of us have to live with it.

The fact is that the Forgotten Realms aren't Ed Greenwood's setting anymore. It's owned by Wizards of the Coast and saying that they should wait for Ed's approval to do anything is unreasonable.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  04:15:40  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

I disagree. In fact, I strongly disagree.

No disrespect to Ed, he's a genius and I hold him in high respect, as well as considerable gratitude for creating this wonderful world that we all enjoy, but he made a conscious and willing decision to sell the publication rights and creative control of the Forgotten Realms setting. No one put a gun to his head and forced him to sign it over, he made his choice and now he and all of us have to live with it.

The fact is that the Forgotten Realms aren't Ed Greenwood's setting anymore. It's owned by Wizards of the Coast and saying that they should wait for Ed's approval to do anything is unreasonable.

I think the message conveyed is that the Realms doesn't need yet another RSE to "fix" things. The Realms just doesn't need anymore RSE's period, and where Firestorm says "Unless Ed says so" I think/Feel/Believe he's coming from a point that Ed wouldn't OK one to begin with (were it still his). I also certainly don't think Authors need restrictions to write in a set time of the Realms. I'd hope that Erik Scott de Bie would continue to write in the Post-Spellplague Realms and the adventures of Shadowbane, that Drizzt would continue on with his new adventuring buddies, that storylines lost in the transition to 4E get told.

Ed still has lots of leadership from what I see and I'm fairly certain that he helps steer this ship as best he can manage, along with a bunch of other enthusiastic authors and developers. Should Ed have a "final say" that cannot be vetoed when it comes to the Realms? Probably not, but I have a hard time thinking that this would come to pass this time around.
Go to Top of Page

archmagestar
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  04:50:46  Show Profile Send archmagestar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I honestly dont know how the spellplague and timeline jump ever got a nod of approval from King Edward. However, being one who reads all the novels, Ed is trying in his novels at least to correct the dammage made. I have said before and will again, I am so disappointed in the way the realms headed with the spellplague.

Forgotten Realms Junkie
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2012 :  04:51:09  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the Nostalgic feel of the 2E days is a hard thing to live up to. But with Wizards saying they want to bring the gray box feel back to the Realms, how can that be anything but good? Ed Greenwood, the grand scribe of the Realms has been noted as being giddy with excitement over what is coming for the Realms. If he's happy, surely this has to be a good thing.

I understand some folks dislike of 4E, really I do. I hated the whole Spellplague and time jump business. But it's not going anywhere and I've come to terms with that. And in the end, I've realized the 4E time jump and all the changes don't really matter now. 5E has Ed manning the helm. So Daggerdale is still going to be Daggerdale. And so are all the other places we've come to love. Now, after years of waiting, we are finally getting new lore on these areas. And it's being done by people who truly care about the Realms and that want to bring it back to the glory days. Randal Morn was cool, but I'm more curious as to what kind of wicked cool new stuff Ed has waiting for that area of the Realms and the Dalelands in general.

With almost nothing being detailed about the Realms during 4E's run, this is almost like starting with a clean slate. 4E had some good things, but by and large was missing a lot of the "magic" or Greenwood effect of the old days in its material. It's hard to put to words, but there was a definite magic and feel to the older material and that's something Wizards has stated as wanting to bring back.

I want to have a sense of wonder, excitement, and adventure when reading of the Moonsea, The North, or other areas, like I did back in the day. We won't get that with a rehash of the 2E days material or even resetting the timeline to right before the Spellplague. It might be bittersweet, but we will get that staying with the current timeline and having the right folks in charge of Realms design. We may know where Suzail or a hundred other cities are on the map, but we really have no idea what is going on there in the current timeline. To see that explored and done right, is truly exciting for me. And I hope it will be for others as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000