Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Fox at Twilight Chapbooks....help me get them out!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  19:40:24  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
We have all heard of these rumored Chapbooks featuring Fox at Twilight.....doing variou things in Various places if there was ever a time when we could ask for something like this to be published in any form, that time is now. We know we are heard. We just need to let wotc that these, and other "bonus content" from authors would be a great thing for us, the fans.

I mean who doesnt want to read Fox Among the Uthgardt? We would devour things like these if they were made available. It would be a nice bridge for fans to stay connected to the Authors they love, while waiting on that next novel. Keep us actively engaged in the realms. Lets hear what you think. And letes hear other scrolld asking for what you want. Here and on wotc forums.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  20:42:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have long thought this would be an excellent thing to do, and WotC's recent expansion of its e-book model sets the stage for e-fiction. If you could get 2-4 Realms stories a month, for free or a low-low price (like $.99 or $1.99 each), would that be appealing to you?

And not just me, either. I've talked to several Realms authors, who are on board with the concept. If there's a demand, we can meet the supply!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  20:47:45  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I have long thought this would be an excellent thing to do, and WotC's recent expansion of its e-book model sets the stage for e-fiction. If you could get 2-4 Realms stories a month, for free or a low-low price (like $.99 or $1.99 each), would that be appealing to you?

And not just me, either. I've talked to several Realms authors, who are on board with the concept. If there's a demand, we can meet the supply!

Cheers

Of course it would...

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  20:51:48  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

Sign me up...like now......Do charter members get a Fox at Twilght pinup? errrr....nevermind

And free is always good....it would make me not bat an eye at prices for ebooks where they are, but I'd be lying if I said there was no value there.

Edited by - The Red Walker on 20 Aug 2012 20:52:46
Go to Top of Page

LastStand
Learned Scribe

130 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2012 :  22:40:26  Show Profile Send LastStand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Add my vote...and for the pinup ;D

"Don't. The battlegrounds that you and I have returned from alive are too different."

~ Claymore ch106
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  01:28:24  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

Of course. I still like the stories a month and then throw them into an e-anthology at the end of the year idea as well.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  01:48:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's sounds worthwhile. But are we talking special Amazon releases, or something included as part of the DDI subscription service?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  15:57:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That's sounds worthwhile. But are we talking special Amazon releases, or something included as part of the DDI subscription service?
Ultimately that's something WotC would decide, but which would you prefer?

I suspect we're looking at releases through their website, either way, and they may or may not be included in your DDI subscription.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2012 :  16:00:10  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I suspect we're looking at releases through their website, either way, and they may or may not be included in your DDI subscription.

Cheers

Well I love reading on the iPad kinlde app, so that would be my first choice.

But as long as I could easily get them on my iPad, either would work.

Ideally though, why not an iPad app??

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  02:06:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Either would be preferable, given that the shift toward international Wizards materials sales on Amazon seems to be moving forward.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2012 :  02:20:32  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually like how Paizo does its web fiction. They post each one in chapters in a blog, and then they combine all of the chapters into an eBook that you can buy for $1. So, if you are stubborn and want to read it for free, you can. But if you don't enjoy reading them in blog format and would rather just pay $1 to read each story in eBook format you can do that as well.

BTW, Erik, is there any chance that the short story that compliments Eye of Justice will be included with the eBook, like they did with Shadowbane? Also, do you have further installments for both Fox-at-Twilight and Kalen (no necessarily together) planned?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 22 Aug 2012 02:25:34
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  14:13:29  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes of course :)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  16:28:01  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

I actually like how Paizo does its web fiction. They post each one in chapters in a blog, and then they combine all of the chapters into an eBook that you can buy for $1. So, if you are stubborn and want to read it for free, you can. But if you don't enjoy reading them in blog format and would rather just pay $1 to read each story in eBook format you can do that as well.
I myself am a fan of this format as well. Paizo recently bought a story for their web fiction line from me, which is called "Proper Villains," and is kind of an Ocean's Eleven story in Golarion. I'm stoked.

quote:
BTW, Erik, is there any chance that the short story that compliments Eye of Justice will be included with the eBook, like they did with Shadowbane?
No idea this time around, I'm afraid. One hint is this: WotC only publishes things they have actually bought, and they haven't bought my companion story from me as yet. So it's free for all, and I'm quite happy with that.

quote:
Also, do you have further installments for both Fox-at-Twilight and Kalen (no necessarily together) planned?
Absolutely I have more stories. They aren't in contract yet, though, so I can't say anything concrete. The two of them interact a great deal in this next novel (releases today: http://www.amazon.com/Shadowbane-Eye-of-Justice-ebook/dp/B007JCC1EU), and there is more to be done. We'll see what happens.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  21:51:42  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Forgive my ignorance but who or what is FAT?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  22:06:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arcanus

Anyone who is a certain percentage above their ideal body weight, like Weird Al in his video of the same name.

She's a popular character from Erik's books.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Sep 2012 22:16:31
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2012 :  22:55:19  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Anyone who is a certain percentage above their ideal body weight, like Weird Al in his video of the same name.

She's a popular character from Erik's books.

I knew you couldn't resist that one wooly

I can't get Eriks books over here hence my question.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  18:18:50  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fox-At-Twilight. A female elf shadowdancer. I have never seen her name as an acronym before.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2012 :  19:21:33  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hawkins

Fox-At-Twilight. A female elf shadowdancer. I have never seen her name as an acronym before.

Neither have I , usually shortened to simpliy Fox

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2012 :  17:12:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I myself usually avoid making her name an acronym, for obvious reasons.

Lady Ilira Nathalan (a.k.a. Fox-at-Twilight, her adventuring name) is the main character of my novel Depths of Madness and my Realms of the Elves novella, "The Greater Treasure," as well as a minor character in numerous other of my work, such as the Shadowbane series.

Fun lore bit: "Fox-at-Twilight" isn't actually a name but a title, which appears to have originated during Ilira's time among the Uthgardt, which is actually the first chapbook in the series. So that would be one of the stories there.

Check out this character profile I posted on my blog.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 06 Sep 2012 17:16:35
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  01:00:56  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No offence was meant friend Erik, I only noticed the (mildly) amusing acronym as I hit post.
Any news of the international release of wizards ebooks?
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  01:17:08  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No offence was meant friend Erik, I only noticed the (mildly) amusing acronym as I hit post.
Any news of the international release of wizards ebooks?

Paul S Kemp mention a new deal on his site for international ebooks

http://paulskemp.com/blog/various-items-and-the-word-cockly/

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  01:23:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No offense taken, though I wouldn't say that to her face. Ilira's been known to be touchy.

And indeed, supposedly we should see international distribution soon. I know The Sage is looking into downloading my latest novel SHADOWBANE: EYE OF JUSTICE. We'll see.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2012 :  01:53:44  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope so. The Shadowbane books are among the eBooks than I want to buy when they finally become available outside of North America.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2012 :  23:26:17  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I should also clarify that my concept of the Silver Fox chapbooks does not make me the SOLE AUTHOR, either. Brian Cortijo and I discussed a particular story idea, and I would definitely love to have Ed write about the character too.

I am very happy to share the Fox-at-Twilight. Gods know she's fine with sharing.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  00:43:17  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can someone tell me, what, exactly these chapbooks are? Unpublished stories of FaT?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2012 :  02:10:42  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Can someone tell me, what, exactly these chapbooks are? Unpublished stories of FaT?
Not to toot my own horn, but I realzied I'm probably the best placed person to answer this question.

In my novel Downshadow, a couple of the characters peruse a good many chapbooks for sale at a shop in Waterdeep, the names of which are of course references to actual Realms novels and stories.

See this thread: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12375

One of those series in particular is the adventures of the Silver Fox, by an unknown author called Arita (whose manuscripts I have on my shelf, just waiting for translation), which are somewhat fictionalized versions of the life and times of Ilira Nathalan, formerly known as the Fox-at-Twilight from 1330 to 1385. They all exist in chapbook form (which is around 20-40 pages, depending), but translated into a language we could read, I'm not sure how long they would be. Probably novella length, but I'm sure I could expand upon them to create novel-length works if I wanted to.

So they're published in the Realms--what TRW would like is to see them published in our world.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2012 :  02:49:58  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do it, Erik!! Free is my second favorite four-letter word that starts with F, but I'd be willing to pay for these stories.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000