Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Thay and Szas
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dinnin
Seeker

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  01:56:38  Show Profile Send Dinnin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey Guys

ive read the neverwinter series so far, and just wondering what books are out to read more about thay and Szas Tam.

thanks

"Use yer heads! A barnyard goose tastes better 'an a wild one cause it don't use its muscles. The same oughta hold true for a giant's brains!"
Bruenor Battlehammer

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  02:52:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The Haunted Lands trilogy by Richard Lee Byers: Unclean, Undead, and Unholy. On this list, this series is where Szass Tam has the most novel time.

Red Magic by Jean Rabe. There's not much focus on Szass Tam here, but rather on Maligor, the then Zulkir of Transmutation.

Red Ambition by Jean Rabe, a short story in the anthology Realms of Magic. This is about Szass Tam and his apprentice, Frodyne, and the clerics of the then goddess of lies.

The Simbul's Gift by Lynn Abbey. Szass Tam hardly made an appearance here. However, there's some focus on Lauzoril, the Zulkir of Enchantment and on Mythrellan, the Zulkir of Illusion.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 01 Aug 2012 03:01:07
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2012 :  03:39:42  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe he also makes an appearance in Crimson Gold by Veronica Whitney-Robinson.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  16:36:40  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

The Haunted Lands trilogy by Richard Lee Byers: Unclean, Undead, and Unholy. On this list, this series is where Szass Tam has the most novel time.

Red Magic by Jean Rabe. There's not much focus on Szass Tam here, but rather on Maligor, the then Zulkir of Transmutation.

Red Ambition by Jean Rabe, a short story in the anthology Realms of Magic. This is about Szass Tam and his apprentice, Frodyne, and the clerics of the then goddess of lies.

The Simbul's Gift by Lynn Abbey. Szass Tam hardly made an appearance here. However, there's some focus on Lauzoril, the Zulkir of Enchantment and on Mythrellan, the Zulkir of Illusion.

I still love seeing the "zulkir of Alteration"
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  18:20:00  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

As do I. Maligor was a typical Red Wizard.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  18:32:10  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maligor and his horde of sheep-monsters...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2012 :  19:08:45  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maligor was great!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  00:55:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Dalor Darden

Maligor and his horde of sheep-monsters...

Hmphf. I'd always thought they were chicken-monsters. In the AD&D1E era a single gold piece would buy you 200 chickens but only 5 sheep.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  01:13:43  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always wanted to play a Red Wizard...badly.

The only thing that has kept me from doing it is the fact that I've yet to find a DM who wanted to LET me do it.

Not even a Lawful Neutral Red Wizard.

My actual inspiration was in fact Maligor...I thought he got punked for the sake of the novel.

My second favorite Red Wizard is actually not a Zulkir...but a Zulkir AND Tharchion!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  01:44:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Dmitra Flass?

Anyway, both of you are wrong. Maligor's pets are not chickens nor sheep. They're rat-monsters.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  01:46:46  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Dmitra Flass?

Anyway, both of you are wrong. Maligor's pets are not chickens nor sheep. They're rat-monsters.

I'm talking about what the Darkenbeasts are made of: sheep. As far as I remember from the novel...

Aznar Thrul is the fella I'm talking about...I pay absolutely NO attention to him being assassinated...that is a punk way that such a man would NOT go down.

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 07 Nov 2012 01:48:33
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  02:05:56  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aznar Thrul's death was so poorly written and ridiculous. The Zulkir of Invocation has no contingency spells on him AT ALL? Yeah. Stupid writing, thanks for the contrivance. Sums up the utter stupidity of the being ushered in fourth edition Realms pretty well in my book.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  02:11:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You're mistaken, actually. The first animal he turned into darkenbeasts was a hedgehog. Then, he transmuted almost any animals he could find. Here are some relevant lines from Red Magic:

quote:
The hedgehog's sides heaved, billowing outward like a puffer fish as the creature doubled its size, then doubled again. Its spines fused into its rapidly stretching skin, which flowed over its enlarging form and transformed into a mud-brown, leathery hide. Its short legs, scrambling in a vain attempt to gain purchase on the ground, elongated and spread away from its torso. At the same time, a thin membrane of flesh formed, attaching itself to the legs on each side of the shrieking beast's body and becoming webbed wings that flapped uncontrollably against the earth. The bones in the creature's head cracked and popped as they lengthened; the jaw became birdlike and filled with twin rows of sharp, jagged teeth. At the opposite end, a prehensile barbed tail sprouted and quivered.

No semblance of the hedgehog remained; there was only the darkenbeast, a sorcerous nightmare, a hideous cross between an eagle and a prehistoric lizard.

quote:
Maligor intended to create several score of these creatures to add to his monstrous army. The darkenbeasts, which could be made from most animals, even those the size of field mice, were fearsome creatures that obeyed his telepathic commands. However, they were not indestructible; they reverted to their true forms in daylight—or upon their death.

quote:
It had taken the Red Wizard months to accumulate this force, working through the night turning bats, lizards, snakes, rats, and other animals into the evil darkenbeasts. The intense magic had exhausted him, leaving him feeling his advanced years. But the incantations had kept his mind sharp for his plans for power.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  02:19:33  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Dennis...

After looking at the game mechanics end of the spell, I remember why I thought it was sheep.

quote:

The darkenbeast is a magical creation with a limited existence. A mage casts the darkenbeast spell on one or more normal animals, usually domestic or local animals, such as sheep and dogs. Only animals of 2 Hit Dice or less are affected.

thanks for the clarification.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  03:15:29  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Aznar Thrul's death was so poorly written and ridiculous. The Zulkir of Invocation has no contingency spells on him AT ALL? Yeah. Stupid writing, thanks for the contrivance. Sums up the utter stupidity of the being ushered in fourth edition Realms pretty well in my book.

I think you mean Evocation.
As someone pointed out to me not long ago....
A contingency spell requires a figurine. One that almost certainly was in his robe which he took off.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  03:21:12  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Firestorm

quote:

A contingency spell requires a figurine. One that almost certainly was in his robe which he took off.

There are many spells other than "Contingency" which are contingency magics.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  04:31:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why do so many people complain about Aznar's murder and not about Mythrellan's? She didn't even manage to die "properly," just mentioned in passing. Poor lass.

Seriously, though, let's just take Richard's word for it: some of them might have survived, Aznar included. In D&D, there's no such thing as utterly dead. [And no author can please everyone.]

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  04:50:47  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No author can please everyone true. But that author ruined Thay for me completely. Just another nail in the coffin created by the 4th edition and the incredibly stupid WoTC designers in charge at the time...
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  05:50:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Worry not, because eventually, Thay will be restored to its former glory.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  19:47:23  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jornan

I believe he also makes an appearance in Crimson Gold by Veronica Whitney-Robinson.

did anyone else thhink he came across as a half decent lich in that one.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  20:09:17  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

quote:

quote:

There are many spells other than "Contingency" which are contingency magics.

Could you list them off for me with links so I can read them?
I know contingency is not the only contingent spell. but almost all contingent magics I have seen require not only a precise spell trigger, but a focus you must have on your person.

Even Elminster's evasion, which can have 6 different triggers needs a spell focus item.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  20:14:21  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No author can please everyone true. But that author ruined Thay for me completely. Just another nail in the coffin created by the 4th edition and the incredibly stupid WoTC designers in charge at the time...

Personally, I loved that series and the author's works not only on that series, but in his other series as well.

I have heard a few people complain about a detail here and there that bothered them and because of it changing Thay from its stale 20 year atmosphere(IMO, it had to change, it has been the same for so long), but you are the first person I have read that absolutely hated it and think the author ruined Thay for you. Those changes were coming whether that Author wrote it, or someone else. We were fortunate to have such a great Author write the event IMO.

And given the sales of that series, as well as his other series, you are definitely in the vast minority
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2012 :  21:28:10  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Various Contingency Magics:

2e
Mantle (page 93, Secrets of the Magister)

Irithra's Spelltouch (page 103, SotM)

Spell Trigger (page 106, SotM)

Greater Spell Trigger (page 108, SotM)

Mordenkainen's Faithful Phantom Guardian (page 58, Greyhawk Adventures) DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!

Rary's Mind Shield (page 67, GreyAdv)

Rary's Urgent Utterance (page 68, GreyAdv)

Rary's Protection from Scrying (page 68, GreyAdv)

Tenser's Fortunes of War (page 71, GreyAdv)

That is just from two books I happened to have on my desk...if you honestly want more, I can provide perhaps hundreds if time permits.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  06:01:45  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

2e

Mordenkainen's Faithful Phantom Guardian (page 58, Greyhawk Adventures) DON'T LEAVE HOME WITHOUT IT!

That is just from two books I happened to have on my desk...if you honestly want more, I can provide perhaps hundreds if time permits.

Forgotten realms only please. greyhawk specific spells will have little bearing on FR.
I have a copy of secrets of the magister so ill have to look at those tomorrow when I dig it out to remember. I cannot find anything on those spells from the official all encompassing Dnd tools compendium. Are they 3.5 or higher? or were they phased out?
Also, I want only contingent spells that could have specifically saved Aznar Thrul's life in this specific situation where he had lost his robe and was literally naked with no spell components running down the hall, and only with magics current rules(3.5-4th edition specific)

Edited by - Firestorm on 08 Nov 2012 06:21:04
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  06:25:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

2e

There's a reason why in 3rd edition these spells don't exist and the "craft contingent spell" feat was created. Remember, the story was written under 3.5 rules.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  11:00:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Forgotten realms only please. greyhawk specific spells will have little bearing on FR.

Not necessarily true. You could have FR-developed versions of the same spells.

Besides, there has been contact between the settings. Khelben specifically crafted his warding whip as a counter to the Bigby's Hand spells, for example.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Tanthalas
Senior Scribe

Portugal
508 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  13:37:08  Show Profile Send Tanthalas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I've seen Bigby's Hand spells being used in Forgotten Realms novels. Didn't Harkle Harpell use the spell when competing with Robillard in one of the Drizzt novels?

EDIT: Now that I've looked Bigby up, I had no idea so many spells came from Greyhawk characters.

Sir Markham pointed out, drinking another brandy. "A chap who can point at you and say 'die' has the distinct advantage".

Edited by - Tanthalas on 08 Nov 2012 13:40:25
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  14:09:44  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Not necessarily true. You could have FR-developed versions of the same spells.

Besides, there has been contact between the settings. Khelben specifically crafted his warding whip as a counter to the Bigby's Hand spells, for example.

True true. I remember a few tenser spells and Mordenkainen spells as well.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  15:22:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tanthalas

I think I've seen Bigby's Hand spells being used in Forgotten Realms novels. Didn't Harkle Harpell use the spell when competing with Robillard in one of the Drizzt novels?

EDIT: Now that I've looked Bigby up, I had no idea so many spells came from Greyhawk characters.

Indeed. Most of the 2E core spells that were named for individuals, those individuals are Greyhawk characters. Mordenkainen, Bigby, Tenser, Rary, Melf... Most "named" spells in FR sources came from Realms characters.

In 2E, there used to be contact between the settings, so spells from one setting could easily appear elsewhere. There's a Khelben Arunsun in Greyhawk, too -- he's the grandson of the Khelben in Waterdeep, who switched identities with him.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  17:16:34  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was also unaware of this until I read this scroll as am not a fan of the Grewhawk setting. But its always good to learn more about the realms so thanks for this little tidbit.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2012 :  18:28:23  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Personally, I loved that series and the author's works not only on that series, but in his other series as well.

I have heard a few people complain about a detail here and there that bothered them and because of it changing Thay from its stale 20 year atmosphere(IMO, it had to change, it has been the same for so long), but you are the first person I have read that absolutely hated it and think the author ruined Thay for you. Those changes were coming whether that Author wrote it, or someone else. We were fortunate to have such a great Author write the event IMO.

And given the sales of that series, as well as his other series, you are definitely in the vast minority
Here in CK, he's not the only one, actually.

As for me, I love the series, and almost everything Richard penned.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000