Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Stuck mid session. Need your sagely ways.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

187 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2012 :  06:26:03  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
- So the PC's heard of gold rush in Deadsnows.
- Came to Deadsnows to find it demolished by a recent Drow raid.
- Went to nearby mines where gold was found to find helpful old ladies grandchildren.
- After a trek through the mines against spiders, rats, snakes etc and crossing a giant underground lake (finding many slaughtered miners along the way) the party finds one of the children, who has be torn apart by drow.

I want the Drow to have left some sort of beast lurking and waiting for the party to confront as well as some magical runes on the walls that do something or another, and convey a message that would lead the party to pursue the Drow.

What kind of beast would drow leave to confront a party following them?
What kind of tricky message would they leave to provoke a party to follow?

I'm thinking the drow kidnapped the remaining kid because drow are at war in the underdark and are trading gold and slaves to some nearby city in exchange for weapons etc.

Thanks!

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2012 :  07:55:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can't go wrong with the classics. I'd suggest some sort of nasty big spider, a silent death-from-above ambush. Glyphs of warding and magic mouth can leave very unambiguous messages.

Although you might not want the drow raiding party to have a priestess. In that case I'd suggest a couple of driders, one who holds the PC party's attention while the second one activates a trap or positions himself to strike with some sort of backstab.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2012 :  09:23:21  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What level and ruleset are we talking about here?

There is a sort of drow golem in one of the 2nd ed. Monstrous annuals (the 1st one?), but the name escapes me.

Maybe something other than a spider, just to surprise the players. If there was a worshipper of the god of slimes and jellies (I don't have the books in front of me right now, sorry)among them, then a couple of these creatures might really surprise the players and make them rethink some of their tactics.

No Canon, more stories, more Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2012 :  09:40:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might also scatter some runes, glyphs, or way-markers which warn of drow activities or territory. These could be carved, drawn, painted, or even magically constructed. They could be left by the drow themselves, or by their victims, or by local Harpers, or by anybody. Such markers are commonly used throughout the Realms and most are readily understood or deciphered by all travellers.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2012 :  16:51:12  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Spiders work, I'll second that. Cloakers are also fun.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

187 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2012 :  17:14:51  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would've probably used a giant spider if I hadn't already dropped on on them earlier in the cave :p

The Drow Golem thing sounds cool! I'll try to find that. I'm using Castles & Crusades so a monster from any edition works really. Also, the party is 1st level but I don't mind one or two of them dying, or causing them to escape :p
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2012 :  17:44:28  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I found it. Its the Spiderstone Golem from Annual I (with a moustache, which all Drow should have). I seem to remember it having appeared in a Dragon magazine earlier, but I cant remember which.

I should mention though, that first level characters will probably all die.

No Canon, more stories, more Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

187 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2012 :  17:55:25  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha damn! I don't know if I want them ALL to die ;)
I'll take a look though. Maybe I'll make a toned down one.
Or maybe the room can just have some sort of portal that teleports them somewhere crappy :p
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2012 :  22:04:14  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or you could always have it be injured. Say have your PC's stumble into the cave and find another adventuring party completely slaughtered, with the badly-hurt golem standing over them. Give them some people to avenge, some loot to scavenge if they survive, and tone the thing down enough to give them a chance.

Though if your system includes either 2e's magical items needed to hit rule, or 3e's DR, even a badly hurt golem might be beyond the PC's power.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2012 :  02:09:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

Or you could always have it be injured. Say have your PC's stumble into the cave and find another adventuring party completely slaughtered, with the badly-hurt golem standing over them. Give them some people to avenge, some loot to scavenge if they survive, and tone the thing down enough to give them a chance.

Though if your system includes either 2e's magical items needed to hit rule, or 3e's DR, even a badly hurt golem might be beyond the PC's power.

I like this idea... The dead adventurers could have the necessary gear to help the PCs. Also, possibly, one of the prior adventurers is still alive but badly hurt -- the golem could be threatening that NPC, allowing the PCs to quickly grab up that obviously glowing sword (or whatever) and attack before it's aware they're there. After they kill it, depending on the needs of your campaign, the badly hurt NPC could give the PCs some advice/directions/whatever and then die, or they could heal the NPC and get some additional firepower/advice/fill a missing slot/whatever.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2012 :  13:54:14  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A drider/injured drider could work too.

Edit: 1rst level party? Nevermind.

Edited by - Kilvan on 18 Mar 2012 13:57:02
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2012 :  22:25:39  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
check out the Nifern from Serpent Kingdoms or you can also find some info on them on various realms websites.

They are a CR 2 native to the underdark equivalent of hunting dogs and are often employed as trackers by illithids, drow and other notorious evil races.

A quadruped resembling a hairless, scaly dog with extra-large paws. Its tail curves up over its head, ending in a deadly-looking stinger.

Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2012 :  23:02:24  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It really depends on the level of the party. For lower levels an encounter with quargoths would be more ideal as far as leading the party to their drow masters. Mainly because drow do use them as slaves and fodder. Besides most drider aren't willing servants of the drow. Better yet have a drider lead the quargoths if the party is hacking through the beast too easily. Besides the drider could bargain the whereabouts of the drow for its life.

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000