Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 IDW/WotC FR Character Creation Contest
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  19:34:48  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
WotC & IDW Forgotten Realms Character Creation Contest ends soon tonight (Feb 10th@ 12:01 AM PST)
Some brief information for those who want to enter at the last moment.
1) You don’t need a DDI account but you do need access to 4e material
2) If you don’t have the books but have a DDI account use their character builder
3) Sources you can use besides the obvious PHB are Heroes of the Feywild, Heroes of Shadow, and Neverwinter Campaign Setting. Use it for themes, gear, and feats.
4) The character level can be between 1-10th. I recommend using the Lair Assault in the CB.
5) 100 words of ‘flavor text’ think about the above sources before you scribble something down! Something I wished I did..
6) Your flavor text will be cut & paste into their small dialogue box on the website
7) Your character needs to be on a file that can be uploaded to the site. This is important and annoying--> Save the character as a Word 97-2003 document (*doc) trust me.
After the cutoff point let’s see what everybody posted! I’ll post my character & flavor text in this thread sometime tomorrow.
Good luck to those who enter & good gaming!

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  21:42:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So you can only enter their contests if you play/enjoy 4e, correct?

Thats a shame.

Whats IDW, BTW?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Feb 2012 21:43:28
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  21:45:01  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Bakra; Do you have a link?

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thats a shame.

Whats IDW, BTW?
I think someone as creative as you could probably team up with Diffan (he does the mechanics, you do the 100 words) and the two of you could easily win the contest.

I may disagree with you from time to time, Markus, but that doesnt' mean I don't recognize the obvious fact that you have skills.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 09 Feb 2012 21:45:51
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  22:00:28  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Whats IDW, BTW?

IDW is the publisher of the FR comic where the character you submit will appear.

http://www.idwpublishing.com/news/article/2197/

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2012 :  22:12:32  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

@Bakra; Do you have a link?

quote:

Thats a shame.

Whats IDW, BTW?
I think someone as creative as you could probably team up with Diffan (he does the mechanics, you do the 100 words) and the two of you could easily win the contest.

I may disagree with you from time to time, Markus, but that doesnt' mean I don't recognize the obvious fact that you have skills.

I concur.
I encourage fellow scribes doing a team up then splitting the prizes if they win.

IDW publishes the D&D comic, transformers, GI Joe, Dr. Who, and the awesome radioactive fire-breathing lizard Godzilla.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Bakra on 09 Feb 2012 22:14:53
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  00:36:08  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well for anyone who's interested, shoot me a PM on the character synopsis and the description and I'll hammer out the mechanics in no time. Heck, you can take the credit, I just like mking stuff.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  01:19:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

IDW publishes the D&D comic, transformers, GI Joe, Dr. Who, and the awesome radioactive fire-breathing lizard Godzilla.
In my opinion, IDW is one of the best comic book publishers in the industry today. Their brilliant takes on many of our favourite hobbies and interests are among some of the most popular books on the shelf each and every month.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  03:37:35  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds awesome, though if I use the Character Builder, how do I save that as a .doc file? And where do I post the applicant character?
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  03:51:21  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure if you checked the WotC site yet:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/promotions.aspx

This information should be enough to lead you to the right place, best of luck.

Nothing is coming to me and I'm haven't a faintest clue with 4E rules.

I hope someone from Candlekeep wins, would be great to see.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  05:08:27  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Submission sent (heh, with 3 hrs to go!!)

The 100 words thing is the hardest part. I like putting in a lot of locations and backgrounds into the guy and I think he's cool but theres no way I can summarize him in 100 words.

When I get a chance tomorrow, I'll post my submission.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  05:51:17  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't wait to read these.

Over on the Midgard OD project, minor NPCs are pitched at 35 words max. Major NPCs are 150 words max. Some participants can get very strong entries within those word counts.

It's good practice to cut the information down to the most interesting tidbits. It was a huge readjustment after my habit of writing page-long backgrounds for PBEM games.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2012 :  17:22:02  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to open with one simple fact. I’m not a writer, hell I’m not even an amateur write. But when I do get around to creating a background for a character it tends to be a bit long. More than a 100 words long this being the maximum for the contest. I started by outlining some rules for the flavor text. I need to read the material sources listed (Heroes of Feywild, Neverwinter, etc…), make sure to sprinkle in some Realms flavor (Ed is a judge & it is a FR contest), and cater to a larger audience (Comic book readers and gamers) Oh yeah, keep it short.
Naturally I ignored the flavor text rules. What I wrote was something useful to me. I could pick this character up in the next five months or three years later. Read the text, get my motivation, and be ready for the game. In the end contests & roleplaying are all about having fun.

The egg will fall from a lighting filled sky,
It won’t hatch until Magic dies,
--Outlying Threads 1369 DR, Lord Bakra

Raised in seclusion Ruhk is a whimsical keen minded witch. When not adventuring she helps those less fortunate than herself. Teaching orphans to read for example. In times of combat she becomes cool and calm. In her years of travel she has come across other dragonborns. They were hatched in a far off land and after the Spellplague. Intrigued she has traveled to the city of Waterdeep to find passage and companionship to this place.

In 100 words I managed to convey a lot of information. I made a reference to 1374 DR, pointed out Ruhk is not a normal dragonborn, and left an inside joke to Ed. Now I could spend the next few sentences explaining why it won’t get picked but I rather move on to the actual character sheet.
If you made the necessary Reading Comprehension skill check then congratulations are in order. You are correct that I wrote the flavor text first before rolling the dice. In the old days it was roll stats first, see what class it fit , and make up a background afterwards.
Also,I’m not a min/maxer/optimizer/Igotnothingbettertodothanbreakthesysytemandmakemycharactergodlike… err useful in all situations.
I decided on a dragonborn hatched on the day Mystra died. She would be raised in seclusion by a coven dedicated to the goddess Selune. The coven found her egg during the Years of Lighting Storms near Myth Drannor. Shafts of moonlight lead them straight to the egg. They managed to retrieve it before the local Cult of the Dragon showed up to claim ‘their’ prize. Why did I choose the witch class and Selune as her deity? Well I never played a witch before in D&D. I chose Selune for three reasons. The first one being the witches’ coven is a Moon Coven. Next I read the old DC series recently, so she was forefront in my mind. Finally, I like her.

Ruhk
Good female Dragonborn Wizard (Witch) Lvl: 8 Deity: Selune
Strength 10 (+0)
Dexterity 12 (+1)
Constitution 12 (+1)
Intelligence 19 (+4)
Wisdom 15 (+2)
Charisma 10 (+0)
Size: Medium Height: 6' 4" Weight: 225 lb Age: 94
Speed: 6 Hit points: 50 (25 bloodied) Healing surge- Surge value 13; Surges/day 7
Armor Class: 20 Initiative modifier: +5 Passive Insight: 21; Passive Perception: 18
Fortitude save: 17 ; Reflex save: 20 ; Will save: 20
Languages: Common, Draconic, Elven, Deep Speech, Dwarven, Goblin
Special sense: Low-light vision

I kept the languages generic on purpose. If non-Realms comic book readers wanted to use her then they shouldn’t need to worry about replacing illuskan with goblin. Starting her at a high level represents the fact she has been adventuring for a while.

Basic Attack :+8 (Str vs AC); Damage 1d8+2 Staff of Winter +2
Ranged (unarmed):+5 vs AC; Damage 1d4+1
Carrying Capacity (lbs)-- Total weight 93 lbs
Normal: 100 lb. or less, Heavy load: 200 lb., Max.: 500 lbs
Racial Features: Draconic Heritage, Dragon Breath (Constitution Acid), Dragonborn Fury, Dragonborn racial power
Class Features: Augury, Full Moon Coven, Moon Coven, Witch Cantrips, Witch’s Familiar
Feats: Arcane Familiar (Owl aka Skronk), Fey Bond, Fey Cantrip, Alertness, Dragonborn Senses, Linguist

I went with acid breath because when you lack a rogue in the party just melt the dang lock hinge! I went with an Owl for a familiar for multiple reasons. The main one being my 2nd edition wizard had a Giant Space Owl for a familiar until he retired after concluding For Duty and Deity module.

Skill Key Trained Total
Arcana Int Yes +13
Diplom. Chr Yes +13
Heal Wis Yes +13
Insight Wis Yes +11
Religion Wis Yes +13

I didn’t list all of the skills. I blame the simple design on the 2nd Edition NPC sheets. If this disqualifies me then so be it.

Powers
At –will: Witch Bolt, Winged Horde, Light, Mages Hand, Prestidigitation,
Encounter: Glorious Presence, Fire Shroud, Lighting Bolt, Chameleon’s Mask, Dragon Breath
Daily: Charm of Forbiddance, Foe to Squirrel, Selune’s Smile (Augury), Feather Fall, Invisibility, Staff of Winter +2 (Freeze Ray)

I picked powers that would guarantee her survival in most situations. When powers fail she will use her intellect to think outside of the box. I changed couple of the names because they were boring. And I hate frogs.

Gear
Cloth Armor (basic clothing), Armor of Cleansing +2, Adventure’s kit, Elven Cloak +2, Staff of Winter +2
Wealth: 2600gp worth in gems & investments

A Staff of Winter? And no cold based spells to go with it!!! Why would I hamstring poor old Ruhk? Easy, she is an adventurer who finds random treasure. Sometimes you take what is given no questions asked. My first 4E LFR character (Dragonborn Mage) was 5th level before he found a magical staff. Here is a hint: he didn’t have cold based spells. I didn’t weigh her down with gear because she walks everywhere….has nothing to do with the fact most horse are spooked by her. Also gives her another reason to be in Waterdeep. It’s time for her to stock up on potions. In my haste to upload before my break was over I missed one important detail. The character’s physical description didn’t make it. All I can say is, ‘Well damn.’

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO

Edited by - Bakra on 10 Feb 2012 17:23:47
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2012 :  04:07:40  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn Bakra, that's pretty good. I love the explinations you made for your choices. Very nice .

I submitted Kaden Rath, a human Hexblade (Warlock) that had infernal ties through his mother's dark contracts. While I cut and cut and cut his description and background to fit the 100 word count, I think it gave the overall impression that he's intriguing, yet not the goodly type character that adventurs to help people. So from this (written below) is what I derived my 100 word description on (which I don't have saved )

Appearance: At a height of just over six feet, Kaden is still an imposing man. His long, dark, glossy black hair is usually tied in a ponytail and his physique is like any other adventuring mercenary. What people find disturbing about him are his eyes, or rather, the constant dark shadows that seem to pool beneath them. It’s as if he hasn’t slept in days and his features always look grim. When on a mission, he ties a mask around his head which covers most of his upper face to conceal his identity.

Personality: Suffice to say, Kaden is a dark brooder. When in the presence of companions or company he remains quiet. When addressed, he speaks in quick answers as a show that he doesn’t want to partake in the conversation. The rare moments he does speak out, it’s usually to point out a fault or make a snide comment.

History: Born in a hovel deep inside the Rawlinswoods, Kaden hadn’t the chance for a normal life. His mother was a witch and his father he never knew (due to the fact that his mother first charmed him and then poisoned him after conception). He grew up doing his mother’s will, which usually meant going to the closest town (sometimes Bezentil, sometimes Uthmpre) to make “friends”. He would then lead them to the edge of town to where his mother would kidnap them for her vile spell components and as subjects for her poisons. Occasionally, Kaden would be used to lure wary travelers (always men) on the road so his mother could use them for her own, strange and personal uses.

As Kaden matured, he realized he had a strange gift which tended to disrupt his mother’s magical spells and poisons in addition to having an “unlucky” effect when he was around. His mother soon discovered his ability and made plans to exploit his “hexing” ability as well, a gift from a demonic attempt to control the boy. However this all came to an end when a band of adventurers came upon her cottage and found the remains of more people than they wished to count. They confronted the evil witch and during the battle, slew her by decapitation. Though it all, Kaden was away in Bezentil gathering food stuffs for the winter. Upon his return, he found the cottage set ablaze with his mother’s body transfixed to a stake in the yard. Strange enough he didn’t feel grief as a deep sigh came over him and he knew he was finally free.

Kaden took to the road that fateful day and started his career as a mercenary. Often he would stay in towns with a garrison or militia and with their help train in the use of military weapons. As he grew older, his “hexing” ability came to fruition and with the help of a secluded old wizard, he was able to fully grasp his powers, demonic as they were. Recently, Kaden was in an adventuring party with a veteran crusader of Torm who taught him the strength of conviction and the guidence of a God (hopefully Torm) is the starting block for great deeds. His hope was that Kaden would turn from his chaotic path to be a leader and free people. Unfortunately, Kaden has no such goals other than to gain wealth and progress further down his path of dark powers.

Kaden Rath, level 8
Human, Warlock (Hexblade)
Narfell Region: (Narfell Benefit)
Theme: Outlaw
Strength 10 (+0)
Dexterity 12 (+1)
Constitution 18 (+4)
Intelligence 12 (+1)
Wisdom 8 (-8)
Charisma 20 (+5)
Size: Medium Height: 6' 2" Weight: 211 lb Age: 26
Speed: 6
AC: 23 Fort: 23 Ref: 19 Will: 24
HP: 65 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 18
Initiative modifier: +9; Passive Insight: 13; Passive Perception: 13
Languages: Common, Damaran
Deity: Beshaba

Basic info and a little stat analysis. He favors Charisma, and by that I mean straight intimidation. He's farily attractive to the eye but his manners and "leave me alone" attitude put a lot of people off. He also has a pretty strong stomach from enduring years living with a witch that deals in poisons and other...undesireables. I used a Forgotten Realms theme and language because the comis is designed for FR. I'm cool with them changing it as needs be but I thought it added depth to show some background and nationality.

Basic Attack :+6 (Str vs AC); Damage 1d12+2 Blade of Annihilation
Ranged (unarmed):+5 (Dex vs AC); Damage 1d4+1
Carrying Capacity (lbs)-- Total weight 74 lbs
Normal: 100 lb. or less, Heavy load: 200 lb., Max.: 500 lbs
Racial Features: Bonus Feat, Bonus Skill, Human Defenses Bonus, Heroic Effort racial power
Class Features: Infernal Pact Reward (Con mod to damage rolls), Infernal Pact Weapon (Blade of Annihilation), Improved Pact Weapon, Outlaw features 1st and 5th level
Feats: Beshaba's Boon, Implement Focus (Rods), Improved Defenses, Improved Initiative, Rod Expertise, White Lotus Riposte

I chose infernal pact because of his mother's ties to gaining power from demonic interests. She, of course, gave them free-reign over her son (Kaden) but he had resisted. The resistance (seen in Improved Defenses feat) was strong yet also syphoned some of the devil's power as it attempted to infuse him. Because he created a lot of chaos whereever he went, he gained a certain deities interest (Beshaba) and she's been giving him a little bit of strength every now and then. I gave him the Outlaw theme because he does what he wants, and that often conflicts with certain authorities. It seemeed....fitting for one who loves Chaos. For the Heroic Effort, it's a nifty Human racial power that I've come to really adore and it's helpful as all hell too. Also, White Lotus Riposte is just awesome (an attacked creature attacks you in return (hit or miss) and just takes damage to the face. Nice!

TRAINED SKILLS
Bluff +14, Endurance +15, Intimidate +14, Stealth +9, Thievery +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +5, Arcana +5, Athletics +3, Diplomacy +9, Dungeoneering +3, Heal +3, History +5, Insight +3, Nature +3, Perception +3, Religion +5, Streetwise +9

Bluff and Intimidate were instant choices for this guy. I mean, he likes adventuring and that often times comes with dealing with people you'd rather just kill outright but don't (ie. Bluff). When outmatched or in a situation he can't force his way out of, sometimes he throws caution to the wind and just intimidates his opponents. This strong-arm tactic works well with negotiations too. Stealth and Thivery go hand-in-hand with one who defies laws based on principle.

POWERS
At –will: Soul Eater, Soul Feast, and Eldritch Bolt
Encounter: Blazing Doom of the Void, Heroic Effort, Reflexive Hellstrike, Shadowslip, Suprise Strike (theme power), Wrathful Aspect
Daily: Lesser Planar Ally, Prophecy of Zhudun, Roaring Storm of Cania

The powers were heavily selected for me because of the Hexblade being an Essential character. Selections I did make were based on martial prowess and him being able to get the jump on people fairly quickly. Two of the encounter powers allow for off-turn attacks, which is really nice. Shadowslip is a great way to get out of dangerous situations, ones where Kaden might get into. Soul Eater and Soul Feats probably have the greatest role-play aspects because it symbolizes him just draining people of their "essence" and consuming it for himself to get stronger.

ITEMS
Blade of Annihilation
Rod of Malign Conveyance +2
Finemail of Durability +2 x1
Adventurer's Kit
Iron Armbands of Power (heroic tier) x1
Acrobat Boots x1
Amulet of Physical Resolve +2 x1
Potion of Healing

The intersting thing about Hexblades is that their weapon is manifested from themselves and they use Rods and Wands to enhance this weapon. One reason I went with the Rod of Malign Conveyance is because it's useful in many situaions as it teleports enemies with critical hits up to 2 squares. It's also cool for repositioning yourself with allies as it's daily power allows you to teleport 2 squares yourself, an ally within 5 squares, and an enemy within 5 squares. The Finemail of Durability was stolen from a dwarven mining complex, right from the chief of operations personal tent. Everything else has simplistic but utilitarian usages for a standard adventurer.

Edited by - Diffan on 12 Feb 2012 04:14:41
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  18:07:43  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Diffan! You did a an impressive job too.

I can't help to wonder how many people failed to enter because of the 100 word limitation. Or the simple fact they lacked the proper 4E resources.

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4425 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2012 :  18:13:37  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

Thanks Diffan! You did a an impressive job too.

I can't help to wonder how many people failed to enter because of the 100 word limitation. Or the simple fact they lacked the proper 4E resources.

I had wondered the same thing. Because I have access to the Character Builder, that's the sort of file I sent it on. I figured most of the masses that participated would have the CB and send the files via that code. Hope that was good enough.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000