Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Share your favorite Elminster quotes!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thunderlungs
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2011 :  07:54:55  Show Profile Send Thunderlungs a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well, after a substantial amount of Googling, I can't find ANY decent collections of Elminster's most memorable quotes ANYwhere online. Let's get this started! The internet needs it!

I suppose I should lead by example here and contribute. Not very epic, but one of my favorite moments is in Shadows of Doom, when Irreph Mulmar worriedly says "We're grateful for your help and all, but we've had a belly-full of wizards running things...", and Elminster blinks incredulously and says "By the good gods, man! What would I want to rule anyplace for?!"

Also, from the Baldur's Gate II handbook:
"Such organizations (the Cowled Wizards) give wizards like me a bad name!" - Volo
"Your bad name is your own doing." - Elminster

Ahhh, gotta love that spry, witty, magnificent fictional ol' coot! Hahaha.

Thunderlungs
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2011 :  15:45:10  Show Profile Send Thunderlungs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
23 views, 0 responses? Come on, guys... :(
Go to Top of Page

Thunderlungs
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  09:56:54  Show Profile Send Thunderlungs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
50 views and... Really? No input at all? Am I wrong to be surprised about this?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  15:06:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be honest... I can't pick a favourite. I treasure practically every verbal utterance Elminster makes!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2011 :  15:12:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I have a lot of favorites. But alas, I'm too lazy right now to look for my notes, which are in hefty piles. Perhaps it's time that I type and save them as .doc files for easy retrieval. But I'm too lazy to do that, either.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Thunderlungs
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  16:08:26  Show Profile Send Thunderlungs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, this post now shows up as the 5th result when you google "Elminster quotes", so let's do this!
Go to Top of Page

Thunderlungs
Acolyte

8 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2011 :  16:12:43  Show Profile Send Thunderlungs a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess an easy addition are his rather humorous signs around his tower:

"Gone gathering spell components." (This sign at the base of the path is very old and weather beaten, and most pay it little heed.)
"No trespassing. Violators should notify next of kin. Have a pleasant day."
"An archmage often can react poorly to interruption. Please reconsider before it is too late."
"Trespassers could die a quick and certain death or they could be invited in for stew. Thank you for thinking better of disturbing my privacy."
"Rumors of spike-filled pits along this path are almost totally false. Thank you for your caution."
"This ancient path
is cracked and paved
with the bones of those
who could not behave."

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  19:48:49  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll add my favorite (as it's also the first I got to read before anyone else, within the Ruins of Undermountain ms):

"Undermountain? Ah yes, [trimmed for speed & sanity's sake] the largest known mass grave in Faerun today."

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2011 :  23:22:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite is in Spellfire, where, as I seem to recall, Torm (the KoMD Torm) is hanging from a windowledge when he accidentally puts his hand in a bird's nest and squashes the occupant. "Yuck," says Torm, at which point the bird looks down dubiously at him and says--in Elminster's voice--"Well, how do you think I feel about it?"

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2011 :  14:16:48  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the Realms, the even-armed cross is used as an ornament and not a holy symbol, and it is commonly seen in that decorative role.-vgatm

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Andrekan
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2011 :  04:23:33  Show Profile Send Andrekan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ye had to ask

"Those two talk only of drink, riches, women, brawling, and magic, so ye've a one in five chance..." Quote from "Elminster in Hell"
Go to Top of Page

AdamBridger
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2011 :  11:58:37  Show Profile Send AdamBridger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Never actually read an Elminster book. Recently bought the Elminster Ascending Omnibus and its in my to read list so i'll add my favourite quotes when i time to read it.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  05:05:16  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just about everything, really.
quote:
As if keeping an undead ferret in her tunic weren't enough to drive civilized company away, she spent her last social gathering explaining the disparate relative effects of falling damage on living and undead rat squirrels to two decidedly uncomfortable apprentice mages with good prospects.
- Elminster's Ecologies, Appendix 1

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2012 :  05:27:00  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From Elminster Must Die, page 59, in response to an arrogant War Wizard proclaiming that "nothing matters except winning": "Oh? If nothing matters, lad, there's nothing worth fighting for."

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2012 :  20:41:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"I'm getting too old for this".

One he should have said:
"Excuse me, I seem to have stepped in some Manshoon".

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2012 :  04:12:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Elminster, upon seeing Manshoon appear a few yards before him, summoned a can of 'something' he bought during one of his visits to Earth, raised it, and said: "How many cans of insecticides must I spray to rid of you?"

Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  03:35:57  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite Elminster quote is in my signature.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  15:52:54  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's Guide to All Things Magical:
[4] Elminster: Delusions this grand are the final frightening stages of the descent into babbling idiocy. Hmmm, perhaps the lad would've made a good mage after all...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Cpt420
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2012 :  23:04:16  Show Profile Send Cpt420 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite Elm saying would be from the knights of myth drannor series, when he drops the many parts from manshoons different clones and his voice comes out of the mouth ans say "aye entertainment"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2012 :  21:01:17  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I like the times he's stunned into silence and doesn't have a witty retort, because characters that have actual or percieved control over too many situations annoy me.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2012 :  03:08:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-I like the times he's stunned into silence and doesn't have a witty retort, because characters that have actual or percieved control over too many situations annoy me.

Like your namesake.

Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2012 :  16:04:14  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm blanking on exactly what, and too lazy to go into the other room and grab the book to look, but I know there was definitely something in the making of a mage I'd call a favorite.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2012 :  08:14:19  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
" Fly, you fools" . Oh wait that was some other irascible old wizard.
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  00:42:36  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the whole "ahem" when he is about to be witty, or when he has just been witty.
Go to Top of Page

LordXenophon
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  01:03:19  Show Profile Send LordXenophon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"It must have been fun growing up as a powerful wizard."

Not a quote from Elminster, but a thought about him by someone who was looking for him at the beginning of Elminster, the Making of a Mage.

Disintegration is in the eye of the Beholder.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  11:05:05  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
“Life has no meaning but what we give it. I wish a few more of ye would give it a little.”
Elminster: The Making of a Mage
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  15:21:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Mystra, ye do like to test me don't you?"

The unwritten thoughts of our favorite mage one day when Storm was bending over provocatively in front of him, all while the Simbul was watching him closely

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  17:13:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

The unwritten thoughts of our favorite mage one day when Storm was bending over provocatively in front of him, all while the Simbul was watching him closely

In a situation like that, my thoughts would have been more like "Hey, look how intently I'm staring at this wall in an entirely different direction!"

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2012 :  17:43:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

In a situation like that, my thoughts would have been more like "Hey, look how intently I'm staring at this wall in an entirely different direction!"

LOL, spoken like a man who has seen the crazy come out in his girl.... oh wait, that'd be all of us.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000