Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 What is the best Bioware FR game?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2003 :  12:47:10  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Wich Forgotten realm game made by bioware is the best+
1.)Icwind dale 1
2.)Icewind dale 2
3.)Baldurs gate 1
4.)Baldurs gate 2
5.)Neverwinter night
Personly I think Icewind dale 1 is the best, but I havent play trough hole Neverwinter night.

Edited by - Alaundo on 16 Nov 2003 13:09:41

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2003 :  13:07:55  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neverwinter Nights without a doubt - I suppose with the community and expansion possibilities, it will keep it alive for some time to come.

I still really enjoyed BG's and IWD's though.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2003 :  13:51:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, Neverwinter Nights without a doubt. With the official expansions and fans hard at work on their own creations (my own Drizzt module included), it just keeps getting better.

The original Icewind Dale game would come in as a close second.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 16 Nov 2003 13:53:05
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  03:44:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, Icewind Dale 1 & 2 and Torment are not Bioware-developed games, they just use the Infinity Engine. Pay special attention to the packaging and face of the CDs, and look for "developed by Bioware" on BG2 and NWN, while "Bioware Corp." appears on BG1. It's also apparent within the copyright text.
My vote goes for NWN, but would be supplanted by Torment(although it's not Bioware).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2003 :  07:12:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can agree with that. My all-time favorite CRPG would have to be Torment.

Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  02:47:17  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Neverwinter Nights without a doubt.
The game play/interface is really nothing new, but because of the toolset and the literally hundreds of community made modules out there, not to mention the next expansion set which will allow for up to 40th level PC's, it really stands above the rest.
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 come up a close second though.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  11:21:31  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iss there realy no one that have good old Issewind Dale as favorite?Evrybody likess the new and fancssy?

Learn about the Ways of Vhaeraun .
- Check out my bio, majore update
- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  11:40:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If we were talking about the period before NWN was released, then yes, Icewind Dale would probably have been my favorite game.

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Nov 2003 11:41:38
Go to Top of Page

Ezindir the dark
Senior Scribe

Norway
603 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2003 :  12:54:36  Show Profile  Visit Ezindir the dark's Homepage Send Ezindir the dark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must admidt that NWN was very good, but I realy hated the mages apperance, the robes looked very stupid, but animal companions and familiars was very cool, and accualy useful, somthing they not was in BG.

Learn about the Ways of Vhaeraun .
- Check out my bio, majore update
- The Wanderers Quest

Go to Top of Page

Feraplith
Acolyte

10 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  21:32:39  Show Profile  Visit Feraplith's Homepage Send Feraplith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Baldur's Gate:Shadows of Amn is the best game ever.

Yé! Silmie éli sílir lómesse!
Éli únotime ve yéni Quendion.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  22:08:38  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, right now, Icewind Dale is my favorite. Why? Glad you asked. It's because I can't get NWN to run without a movement stutter that limits me to something like one frame in ten!!!!

::huffpuffpuff::

I checked the system requirements, and I can't find out why it won't play right. And it's not because I don't have the latest driver -- I downloaded the latest audio/visual driver to the computer I'm working on, and got the opening movies to play -- if I disable sound first. After that, it's a black screen. Yet on my laptop, which isn't configured for the Internet, it will play, and with sound as well -- but only stuttering.

So that's why IWD1 is my current favorite. It's the one that works.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  23:45:08  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmmm I get the stuttering too, Bookwyrm..... but only on my laptop....which currently has a better gfx card then my main workstation

Have you checked that you havent got some processor intensive service or application running in the background?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  02:06:58  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shut down all nonessential programs, following the directions on the troubleshooting page at the website. It fixed it somewhat, but only initially. It hasn't ever worked again.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  08:15:55  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For Me The Baldur's Gate series take over all.. Infact it be the only game that I truely play anymore. Even for being several years old. While torment isn't that bad, nor Icewind dale 1 or 2 I simply cannot get over the BG series. Granted I too like NWN as well but I cannot give up my BG. Becoming the Slayer at every violent whim and maiming all near by innocents and opponent's alike tis like divine wrath... MINE MWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! *Ahem*
At anyrate it would make sense since I like the Cursed Sword of Beserking +3. Although My favorite Item is simply the Claw of Kazgaroth... Which makes me wonder. Does anyone eles know about this beast?

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2003 :  13:21:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bookwyrm, don't get too angry. I had a little difficulty with two of my own computers to begin with as well, but after some tweaking, NWN works on every single unit I have now.

If you want, I can look into your problem. If you're interested please send me (via ethereal mail) a writeup (or use the print-screen function) of your system specs and system requirements, and I'll see what I can determine on my end.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2003 :  05:39:46  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, strange

I would definitely cast my vote for BG 2. Had the most character kits, which I loved, the ebst story out of any of them, although I haven't played torment, but we're not counting that and had the most gameplay to it.

I found the IWD's, all three of them to be horendous. The first one was ridiculously difficult and after sitting down for so many hours to complete it, with its linear story line and lakcing depth, I was heartly dissapointed.

NWN was new and alright for its time, but I really could never say I got into it. The spell effects were basically all that kept me going as the story really was skin deep, and the characterisation more so. Moreover, I think the idea of NWN to give you one character and a non-controllable player as a henchman was terrible.

Sorry if it comes across harsh, I just cant see how just about any game can compare with the magnificence of BGII

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2003 :  05:52:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've got some good points, MuadDib. I've never finished the core NWN campaign or IWD I, as the stories were horrible. I did, however, quite like the SoU storyline. BGII was huge, had great stories and side quests, and was a joy to play, and ToB only threw the suspense and story levels up a few notches, which was quite good. I didn't mind IWD II, however. My vote went for NWN because of the adaptability, large amount of possible stories, and good game engine. BGII follows it closely.
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2003 :  08:42:04  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be fair, I should really play some of the mods now that I can get them.

My comments were only based on the single player experience though. I want debate the mods as I have not played any, and I hear that the NWN mods are simply superb.

It's as Arivia says, the story is prolly the main thing for me, and BGII's was excellent.

I only played about 3/4's of IWDII and I just have to say it, its just too darn white

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  08:57:09  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot pick, either BG or BG 2.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  12:25:51  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm Baldurs gate 2 for me.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  20:44:46  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose, if forced to choose...Baldur's Gate 2. Simply because I played it first before the original Baldur's Gate.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2013 :  14:46:24  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Baldur's Gate 1. Even though it's not a Bioware game, Icewind Dale has a special place too because I enjoy dungeons crawlers.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  14:20:51  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Surprised people are actually mentioning NWN. Didn't seem like a true D&D game to me with only being able to control one character. I played with my brother on LAN once and that was fun. Actually that was really fun. Still, going with BG1 for this. All amazing games though.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  15:15:42  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved them all. Bioware was awesome until EA took over. I'm not saying their games suffered in terms of design but all the propietary crap that got bundled with Mass Effect 2/Dragon Age 2 onward left a really sour taste in my mouth.

I can't stay online so when all my DLC gets disabled as soon as I go offline I find it annoying to put it mildly.

That being said, before EA messed things up I enjoyed Baldur's Gate 2 immensely. Neverwinter Nights was almost as good but felt more like a grind.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  15:37:20  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Should give Dragon Age Origins a shot. That has to be the best video game I've played since the BG 2 days.

I recently snagged The Witcher 2, which seems to be pretty decent. But you can consider Witcher 2 an R-Rated game with all the swearing, boobage, and bloody combat. Definitely not one for youngsters. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  15:38:39  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

I loved them all. Bioware was awesome until EA took over. I'm not saying their games suffered in terms of design but all the propietary crap that got bundled with Mass Effect 2/Dragon Age 2 onward left a really sour taste in my mouth.

I can't stay online so when all my DLC gets disabled as soon as I go offline I find it annoying to put it mildly.

That being said, before EA messed things up I enjoyed Baldur's Gate 2 immensely. Neverwinter Nights was almost as good but felt more like a grind.

No, you're right. Dragon Age 2 was horrible compared to the first one. :(

They've said #3 is taking the best elements from the first and second. So here's hoping they do it right. But I fear the EA overlords will end up ruining it. :(
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  17:50:28  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

I recently snagged The Witcher 2, which seems to be pretty decent. But you can consider Witcher 2 an R-Rated game with all the swearing, boobage, and bloody combat. Definitely not one for youngsters. ;)

Played the original Witcher. Found it purile that you would collect trophies for sleeping with women. Never read the books nor saw the TV series. Was there a lot of sex in them? Somehow can't see 1990s Poland going down the modern HBO drama route.

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 09 Dec 2013 17:51:14
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2013 :  19:11:26  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never played the first one. And I'm only in the first starter town so far, so I haven't seen the majority of the game.
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2013 :  01:27:37  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dare I ask what the people think were the "best bits" from Dragon Age II? I liked the game overall but felt that the first was superior in every way. Just wanting to know what I can expect.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2013 :  14:23:28  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did like the game but the cloest thing to a 'best bit' would be the final dragon fight at the Bone...mine place - I forget what it was called.

The Qunari attack and the final battles were okay but I'm always frustrated by roleplaying encounters with the Qunari. No matter how much respect you garner with them, the games always railroad you into a misunderstanding. I get that their culture is alien but there's got to be a way to reason with them over some things or what's the point in talking to them at all?

Maybe they do some DLC where you play as a Qunari who is banished for thinking too much like a foreigner (I can't help it, I'm being controlled by a human and my dialogue options are too limited!)

Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2013 :  00:00:12  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wish they'd get rid of the dialogue wheel. That thing is awful. Nothing wrong with seeing exactly what your lines are going to be before you choose them. Sometimes I just want to bee able to say the coolest line... I can't do that with a dialogue wheel.

Edited by - Light on 11 Dec 2013 00:00:55
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000