Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Candlekeep Adventure.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Trafaldi
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2003 :  05:21:38  Show Profile  Visit Trafaldi's Homepage Send Trafaldi a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know there is BG but that is a computer game. Who would want to write an adventure and make it available in the library and maybe submit it to WotC.

And do we have an actual map of candlekeep?

Some believe there is something more after death, if you really want to find out... go kill yourself and stop pestering me.

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2003 :  07:56:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do..., have a map of Candlekeep I mean. But it is not canon, nor anything official. It was something I was working on a long time ago, during a PBP on the FR Mailing List. The detailing and illustrations were pretty elaborate in some places (where the campaign took place...obviously), the only problem with it was, I never ended up using it, since several members of the list 'mysteriously disappeared'.

Anyway, I think there may be something official. I'll have a look through my archives when I finally get home.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2003 :  20:27:25  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The BG depiction of Candlekeep is terrible! Candlekeep looks nothing like that..... for example read Crucible or some of the descriptions in FRCS.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2003 :  06:53:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good suggestion Rad.

I also believe there is a website (or rather was, since it has been about a year since I last checked) with a map of Candlekeep that has been drawn up. The interesting thing about this certain map, is that the mapmaker has taken into account nearly all of the written descriptions and references about the library, and composed a rather well-constructed interpretation. I can't remember the address for the site at the moment, however I will do a search and post back later.

Go to Top of Page

Dragon Cultist
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2003 :  22:40:25  Show Profile  Visit Dragon Cultist's Homepage Send Dragon Cultist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much as Candlekeep seems to me to be kinda tricky to place an adventure in, your mention of maps detailing the interior of the keep is indeed interesting, esteemed sage.
Do post back on this subject.

Pardon? Why do I find Candlekeep "tricky"? Three main reasons:

1. A plethora of more-or-less powerful NPCs hanging around. Yes, I realize many DM's out there would count this as a plus, I see it more as a liability. Since NPCs saving the PCs' bacon = deux ex machina = less fun for the players portraying heroes.

2. Candlekeep is described (what little references exist of it in Realmslore) as pretty much a tranquil place. I don't mean that it would be impossible for me to put a challenging dungeon somewhere beneath the library crypts (after all, Baldur's Gate & sequels showed us some) but I do feel it would be a bit of a stretch selling the concept of there being beneath Candlekeep a lair full of beholder mages, psionic liches, fiendish grell barbarian/blackguards, or what have you.
Then again, maybe I should stretch my DM-ing imagination a little. (After all, Waterdeep has Skullport and Undermountain...)

3. An adventure set in Candlekeep should involve some library-delving. Shades of “The Name of the Rose,” and so on. Yet I admit that the prospect of including something in that vein in D&D seems somewhat daunting to me. Mind you, I’m not leery of including intrigue per se, neither am I a newbie DM (I have been DM-ing, off and on, ever since 1985). It may simply be that I’ve never been good at problem-solving (meaning detective-style gaming) and hence, as a DM, don’t have much experience with it.
Point 3 in simpler terms: to me the question is, can a “library” mystery/problem-solving adventure really work in the combat-heavy, spell-slinging, derring-do style that D&D has acquired?

…Ahem. Sorry for the somewhat long-winded post. But what d’ya think?

"And naught will be left save shattered thrones with no rulers.
But the dead dragons shall rule the world entire..."
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2004 :  00:50:30  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget about Miirym, "The Sentinel Wyrm". A powerful silver great wyrm dragon that was transformed into an incorporeal sentinel, a type of guardian undead. Apparently, she guards the lower reaches of Candlekeep from intrusion through the underdark. Another powerful entity in the vicinity to add to your list...

Wyrms of the North: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wn/20030521a
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2004 :  07:52:07  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, Candlekeep is a good spot to include one other being of power (more or less) as it is so close to the ocean and a haven of knowledge (Good, Neutral, evil, and forbidden). Candlekeep would make a great place to put a Cult to a certian Deity/Old one....

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  02:08:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dragon Cultist

Much as Candlekeep seems to me to be kinda tricky to place an adventure in, your mention of maps detailing the interior of the keep is indeed interesting, esteemed sage.
Actually I did hear back from them early in Novemeber, but I had forgotten about this post. Their site is still not active, but they did email to me some copies of their Candlekeep interior maps. I'll see whether Alaundo wishes to keep such valuable illustrations here at Candlekeep. If not, I'll just email them to whoever is interested.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  08:55:28  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Actually I did hear back from them early in Novemeber, but I had forgotten about this post. Their site is still not active, but they did email to me some copies of their Candlekeep interior maps. I'll see whether Alaundo wishes to keep such valuable illustrations here at Candlekeep. If not, I'll just email them to whoever is interested.

Well met

Indeed, please send these maps over to my desk, Sage, I would love to see such scrolls and make them available to all within the library

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  09:03:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very well Alaundo. I'll send those images to you via the ethereal mail service, just as soon as I get home.... I can't send all of them though, mainly because I don't have permission from the original creator to distribute one of the image-maps he'd sent me.

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  12:20:15  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dragon Cultist

Pardon? Why do I find Candlekeep "tricky"? Three main reasons:
<snipped, see abvove for the original>

In general I garee that Candlekeep is not the most likely of places to go and have an adventure. Especially since it is already so difficult for anyone to enter the site in the first place.

1) The 'abundance' of 'powerfull' NPCs could indeed be a bit of an issue unless the adventure is for higher level PCs (epic?). In that case the characters could be almost, or on par with the NPCs. Also it could mitigate the 'entrance fee' issue for the place somewhat, as higher level PCs are more likely to possess an interesting tome to add to the library complex.

2) What is quiet on first glance... There might be intrigues and plots brewing, even among the librarians (no offense meant Alaundo ... but in any society, there is still opportunity for disharmony, no matter how lawfull, good, or neutral the individuals might be - fallen from grace anyone? It is not immediately necessary to go to draconic measures and invent a laybyrinth full of critters to be slain (Undermountain) and place it under Candlekeep.

3) Is more what I would envision - along with a usage of the region and keep's history. Someone/thing from Alaundo's living years come back to haunt? Or a deity with a grudge against a certain element within the keep? Again this might be more something for mid to higher level characters then a bunch of low-level PCs.
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2004 :  14:42:11  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree Mumadar Ibn Huzal, The region is known for having half bult (and now buried) kingdoms, schools of magic (IE Ulcaster), and ruins of everysort... Who know what lurks in the deepest dark beneath our very feet.... Candlekeep could have the greatest adventure known to Faerun... just that the scribes care more to the library and reading of adventure than actually looking for it... "Beware what one looks for, for it might find you" and all that...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dragon Cultist
Acolyte

28 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2004 :  15:40:25  Show Profile  Visit Dragon Cultist's Homepage Send Dragon Cultist a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maecenus of Westgate: indeed I had not forgotten about the Sentinel Wyrm. Trust a draconic disciple like me to keep track of all dragons…especially ones that are no longer alive, yet still active.

The Sage, and Alaundo: my thanks for your attention to this, esteemed loremasters. As the Oghmites are fond of saying, “Wisdom is only possessd by the learned.”

Mumadar Ibn Hazal:
1) on the subject of the abundance of high-level NPCs somewhat inhibiting the adventuring possibilities- indeed, as Maecenus pointed out, it’s not just (demi)human NPCs, but even an undead silver dragon! Now, all things being equal, an undead dragon could be a viable target for the average adventuring party, provided the heroes are of sufficient level.
(Sidenote: of course, those of my persuasion might choose to approach such a wyrm with quite different motivations…my brethren and sisters are not so partial to dragonslaying, quite the opposite…but I digress.)
Yet all things are not equal. The Sentinel Wyrm is clearly not meant as a straightforward monster to slay, but as a guardian of good alignment. Then again, while good, the dragon is also insane, and Ed Greenwood (the author) made it clear that the undead dragon might very well attack even good characters, if she perceived they threatened any books or lore in the catacombs...

2) Funny that thou should mention “draconic measures” (see point above), oh Learned Scribe from…Calimshan? Anauroch? Or art thou further removed: Al-Qadim, perhaps? Or even a different crystal sphere? While I’m versed in planar lore, I fail to recognize this “Hungary”…
Forgive my prying, scholar Hazal; my curiosity compels me.

3) It seems to me that if anything, a Candlekeep adventure should indeed burrow shamelessly from that library mystery classic, The Name of the Rose. Not only would it add to the recognizability (though of course the DM should add enough “fresh”, homemade elements. Otherwise the adventure will be so recognizable that many a player will mutter: “Ripoff!”). It would also make the environment –Candlekeep- quite a different experience from the typical dungeon.
It’s just that as a DM, (murder) mysteries have never been my forte. There. I’d rather be up front about that.

So, to all: it’s true what has been posted: the region around Candlekeep has plenty of “story seeds.” Plus, the library fortress is riddled with magic, hidden passages and more important, with history. Hey, one could even do a “tie-in”, as it were, with the Realms events featuring in the computer games: the Bhaalspawn storyline.

My point is merely: I think it would be tricky (not impossible by any means; just tricky. Tricksy…tricksy…false! Whoops. Down, Gollum. Damn extraplanar intrusions…) to DM a Candlekeep-based adventure.
The thing is that I have every confidence in the D&D game as an excellent platform to spin a dungeon-delving yarn; but when it comes to mystery and intrigue…call me a shriveled-up relic of the 1st Edition days, but even in today’s game of social skill checks and XPs-not-just-for-hack-and-slash-anymore, I think a “Whodunit” type of adventure could easily backfire. And believe me, I’ve seen my share of miserable failures in straight problemsolving style adventures. (Argh, the number of times that I’ve heard a DM tell me, “Well, you can’t use detect lie to find out whether the footman killed the castle lord or not…I don’t allow such spells in MY game…they spoil the mystery…” [Disgusted sigh.]
I realize I may be a bit traumatized by these failed mystery-scenarios. I may not be entirely rational on this issue.

What would help is if I ever heard from somebody’s DM-ing or playing experience, that they truly enjoyed a mystery/ problemsolving adventure! Anyone around here have a positive experience to relate?

"And naught will be left save shattered thrones with no rulers.
But the dead dragons shall rule the world entire..."

Edited by - Dragon Cultist on 03 Jan 2004 15:46:54
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2004 :  09:37:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you certainly need to rewrite the "normal" whodunit in order to keep magic from killing it. With detect lie, I'd imagine that it's just as acurate as a modern lie detector. That is, it usually works against anyone, except people who know how to fool it. (I can think of at least two, depending on the version of the machine, but I don't think the people who told me would like me to say it in a public forum.)

Of course, there's always the sort of fooling that takes a quick mind, the kind where the the person lying will actually tell the truth, and unless the person listening figures it out, it sounds like the total opposite. A simplistic version would be "The only son of my aunt's sister did it."

And then, of course, there's the fact that detect lie allows a Will save (or so I assume; I can't find this spell in 3e). Perhaps the footman makes his save. Perhaps the footman is really an assassin with training to resist interogation (including by spells) and so gets a +5 on Will saves against detect lie or detect thoughts.

A lot of divination spells might make things more complicated as well. Perhaps legend lore could summon up an image of the killing, if they found the murder weapon. It's up to the DM to work around them, not say "You're not allowed to do that."

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  09:01:31  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So SAGE,
is there a link to the map in this case? did you get to host it or can you only share it? id definately give you my email bc id love to see those maps.....

(i <3 magical maps and maps in general- Marauders Map [harry potter] is like my favorite thing)

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  09:39:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did... on my website. It disappeared into the ether when I redesigned my site and I didn't bother to upload it again.

I'll dig through my archives and send you a copy. And I guess I should really get back to sending them to Alaundo too so they are waiting on his desk when he gets back from Egypt .

Edited by - The Sage on 15 Jan 2006 09:39:48
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2006 :  17:18:26  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EGYPT?! ooooh

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  10:58:47  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I did... on my website. It disappeared into the ether when I redesigned my site and I didn't bother to upload it again.

I'll dig through my archives and send you a copy. And I guess I should really get back to sending them to Alaundo too so they are waiting on his desk when he gets back from Egypt .

::trudges through paperwork on desk::

hmmmm. No, nothing here, Sage

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2006 :  11:45:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

::trudges through paperwork on desk::

hmmmm. No, nothing here, Sage

Well, I guess I'll have to find it now... Won't I?

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2006 :  03:17:53  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
any luck finding the map? or map link? im totally eager to get a glimpse!!!

EDIT: <---humbly pings the thread in case The Sage forgot all about the sought-after map.

EDIT EDIT: "third time's a... enchantment: [charm (mind-affecting, sonic}]
*gosh I'm annoying! teehee

-Judge Brinkema

Edited by - Beirnadri Magranth on 18 Apr 2006 03:43:07
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  07:42:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking at it right now actually. I'll send it to Alaundo along with my Compendium submission shortly.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  10:52:00  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

EDIT: <---humbly pings the thread in case The Sage forgot all about the sought-after map.

Well met

I find that "humbly pinging" the Sage has little effect, Beirnadri Magranth. Here, use this flail

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  13:56:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well met

I find that "humbly pinging" the Sage has little effect, Beirnadri Magranth. Here, use this flail

Ouch! I felt that .

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  17:42:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well met

That's true... He once promised me some info on the Seldarine...

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  00:30:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was that the DL material?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  01:45:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Was that the DL material?

Yup. A project I was working on at the time (before my interest shifted to other matters) would have touched on it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2006 :  13:29:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

EDIT EDIT: "third time's a... enchantment: [charm (mind-affecting, sonic}]
*gosh I'm annoying! teehee

Yes, sorry Beir... I do keep forgetting.

I'll get on it this weekend.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  06:09:08  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And he still hasn't sent me that "Impiltur" collection he promised ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  06:18:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

And he still hasn't sent me that "Impiltur" collection he promised ...

-- George Krashos

That's still coming . In fact, I took the file to work with me this morning to tinker with it. Give me another week or so Krash (pssst... if you don't here anything after that... ping me again as I've likely forgotten). I didn't get much Realms-related stuff done over the recent break... so I've fallen a little behind.

As for the Candlekeep Map... I apologise again from dragging me sagely feet on this Beir. I've just put a post-it note on my monitor here reading "send Candlekeep map to Alaundo" for when I get home tonight .

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  08:14:31  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As for the Candlekeep Map... I apologise again from dragging me sagely feet on this Beir. I've just put a post-it note on my monitor here reading "send Candlekeep map to Alaundo" for when I get home tonight .

Well met

Then i'd better ready my staff to beat thee with, Sage, if it doth not arrive

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  12:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If things keep going on like this, we'll have a new form of currency: Owing One(1) Realmslore Document!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000