Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What edition do you play?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  03:53:21  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
As the title says, I am curious as to which edition of D&D everyone enjoys and partakes in, if you play multiple then pick your personal favorite. If you are a former player, not currently gaming, list the edition you last played or would choose to play now if given the chance. Also, feel free to comment on whether you stick with the timeline linked with each edition, or use them them interchangably, such as playing a 3rd Edition game set in 1st Edition times.

Choices:

AD&D 1E
AD&D 2E
D&D 3E/3.5/Pathfinder
D&D 4E
I enjoy Forgotten Realms for novels only
Other(Castles and Crusades, Hackmaster, True20, ect)

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - Gambit on 18 Aug 2010 16:05:45

Hooch9
Acolyte

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  05:16:43  Show Profile  Visit Hooch9's Homepage Send Hooch9 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I play third edition. I've never played the older versions. I'm personally not a big fan of fourth edition though

Sheriff: Oh one other thing Earlie. Your boy needs to be in school.
Earlie Cuyler: School? Ain't dat da damn place where they got all dem uhh lets see, whatcha call um uhh? Fold outs covered in scriblins wrote up all over.
Earlie Cuyler: uhh? Books?
Earlie Cuyler: uh-uh, uh-uh, No they square like a magazine.
Sheriff: Books Earlie.
Earlie Cuyler: Noo not not that, but something like that, I wanna say boooooo...

"Don't you start with me. I have hobbies. I collect autographs. I don't Judge you for all those books you read!"

-Both of those quotes are from Squidbillies.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  05:23:56  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Currently I play 1st Edition with my family...but I have played all editions.

I prefer 1st Edition only because it is easy for my children to understand.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Gambit
Learned Scribe

110 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  05:29:35  Show Profile Send Gambit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally I play both Pathfinder and 2nd Edition. I voted for 2E because it is where I started, and it has this...mystical feel to it (I cant really describe it), one that was prevelent throughout AD&D, slightly lessened in 3E, and taken out back and slaughtered with the rest of the sacred cows in 4E.

Edited by - Gambit on 18 Aug 2010 05:33:10
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  05:48:44  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
2e w/3e skills, so that its not juss rogues that can learn to detect and disable traps, not juss clerics who can heal party members, not juss mages who may be able to understand lore of long past, and fighters aren't boxed into stereotypes. And much fewer class restrictions for races.
Go to Top of Page

Julian Grimm
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  06:22:05  Show Profile Send Julian Grimm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Castles and Crusades or Swords and Wizardry are my games of choice these days.

Edit to add: I also just use the Greybox with the 1e supplements.

Edited by - Julian Grimm on 18 Aug 2010 06:23:46
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  06:30:17  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I played 3rd edition and happily made the change to 3.5. I don't care for the changed in pathfinder. I also really enjoy Baldur's Gate (PC game), which I guess classifies as 2nd edition.

I don't like 4th edition AT ALL. If I wanted to play World of Warcraft, I would have bout the computer game. Also, the changes that made to the realms made me cry (Why, oh why did Azuth have to die?)

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  09:00:48  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could also have included Other systems or D&D.

If I use TSR I prefer using 2nd edition rules, but more or less 1st.edition Realms. Official timelines and canon have no place if they get in the way of ideas or play, but most of the information in the Grey Box stays.

As for the novels, I quit them for good years ago (except for Ed in general and Schends Blackstaff) and actually didn't enjoy that many published since the mid 90's
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  09:45:40  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3.5, but I love taking a look into olden times. Netheril and Cormanthyr are my favourites. Don't like 4e aside from a few concepts - returned Netheril and Myth Drannor among them.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
489 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  17:14:21  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only played 4th Edition thusfar, and as a practice play of it around the time of its release. I admit I rather like it, but I have plenty of 3rd/3.5 Edition rulebooks at my disposal for a 3.X game. Don't know what to vote as, honestly.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  18:16:15  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've played 2e, 3.x and currently 4e
Go to Top of Page

Archimedes of Syracuse
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  19:40:50  Show Profile  Visit Archimedes of Syracuse's Homepage Send Archimedes of Syracuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm novel only person, grrr I wish a got to actually play, iv loved every book iv read in the realms and I cannot comment on how 4E plays but all the 4E book have been very good reads and has probably become my favorite version.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  21:49:48  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it somewhat telling that I'm the only one so far that has said they play 1st edition?

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  21:54:56  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe. My hubby did, many moons ago. I do 2/3.5 ed.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  09:07:12  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I unfortunately voted before the list got expanded. Now it would probably be another vote for "other", being a BRP variation. I still enjoy 2nd ed. and Rules Encyclopaedia versions, but I am not all that happy with the way the Realms work with the systems. It all depends on the players involved and the system they prefer though.
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  09:16:20  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
switched to pathfinder only recently. Play started in old days with D&D, then 1st, 2nd, 3.5 and now Pathfinder. But to be honest it is more a mix of 2nd, 3.5 and where possible Pathfinder rules/spells/items.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4426 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2010 :  15:52:08  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted 4E mainly because I'm currently running a campaign using that rule system in the Realsm (and using that timeline as well) and I plan on running the adventure Keep on the Shadowfell using the Forgotten Realms conversion guide. But all that being said, I don't have any problems running 3.x or using Pathfinder which frankly is a greater improvement on 3.x.
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  02:20:45  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1st Edition AD&D! Long live The Old Grey Box baby!

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  07:17:19  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll play any edition BUT 4e. I don't even recognize it as D&D, and all Canon after "Grand History of the Realms" I ignore as it is nonsense.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2010 :  22:13:19  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Is it somewhat telling that I'm the only one so far that has said they play 1st edition?

You are not alone any more.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2010 :  06:21:37  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

quote:

John

May your legs never stop hopping...

You aren't any relation to Wastri are you?

Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2010 :  17:20:31  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by froglegg

quote:

John

May your legs never stop hopping...

You aren't any relation to Wastri are you?

LOL No but some of the people around where I work think I am when I cut their power off at the pole for stealing it.

John

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2010 :  23:44:09  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Voted other. I plan on using the OGB, with the 3E Rules for some games, and the 4E Rules for others.

Mostly read the novels right now.

I have been brainstorming a 3E/4E 225DR Realms homebrew.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2010 :  01:19:00  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not DMing currently, and the three groups I play in all use 3.5 plus house rules (mostly from Pathfinder).

When I do get back behind the screen, I'll be using a ruleset that's mostly Pathfinder and a Realms set around 1400DR in which the Time of Troubles and Spellplague never happened. I'm a big fan of the 4E opposed-roll mechanic, despite my loathing for most other elements of the system, so I'll be doing away with Armor Class and many skill DCs in favor of opposed rolls. Castles & Crusades and True20 have some neat mechanics as well. The longest-running campaign I'm playing in is starting to wind down, and I might toss in a mini-campaign of the game that got me into RPGs in the first place... Tunnels and Trolls. I recently found the complete Dungeon of the Bear for T&T in PDF at DriveThruRPG, and I've had the T&T core book and all six volumes of Grimtooth's Traps for a while now. I wish I'd picked up Grimtooth's d20 book, but the DM of the aforementioned campaign has it, and I've been under strict orders to keep my sadistic little hands off it until the campaign is over.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 22 Aug 2010 01:19:51
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2010 :  12:15:32  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I currently play 4E. Enjoy 3/3.5 also of course, but 4E is by far the easiest to DM and set up adventures (for me anyways). Plus as a player I enjoy it more also.
Love the history of the earlier editions, I could play 3E today, but will NEVER go back to THAC0 lol

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dreyrugrulfr
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2010 :  17:08:20  Show Profile  Visit Dreyrugrulfr's Homepage Send Dreyrugrulfr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Second edition here, though I use a lot of sources from First, and I consider them largely the same beast in different clothing at times. Not particuarly a fan of 4th, but I'm willing to play it with friends, same with 3rd/Pathfinder. I'd play it, but I'd never DM it. 2nd is nice and simple to remember (I don't use the Option books for a reason!) and yet has enough variety to keep me interested, and my players too. Plus, I enjoy how hard it is :D Shame my players don't agree.

No man is so good as to be free from all evil, nor so bad as to be worth nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Shottglazz
Acolyte

Canada
49 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  15:13:36  Show Profile Send Shottglazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mainly 2e, although we use some of the 3e attack conventions (got rid of THAC0) and we ignore most canon events after the 2nd edition box set (no thunder blessing, most of the retcon stuff is gone)...

Shottglazz

"Take my love, Take my land, Take me where I cannot stand;
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  15:35:59  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite is AD&D 2E !And follows the 3.5 edition...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  15:38:12  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've played them all. Liked all the materials in Second the best, like 3.5 the most (I just love haivng stats for animals and stuff) and think 4E is too much like a video game. I want details and descriptions, not a "quickie"
Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  17:15:22  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm using Pathfinder. It's excellent for both new players and old veterans, in my opinion. My group loves the improvements it made to a lot of the classes, and it has certainly streamlined the 3.5 rules.

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  18:38:38  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3.5 is my preference.

Right now I’m playing in a 3.5 Realms game (as a Cleric of Tymora). When or if I return to DMing I’ll happily run either 3E or 4E. Pathfinder has interested me somewhat too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000