Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What is your main hand?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  08:11:57  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Was interested since in PC games you has no such choice. In which hand you prefer to wield the weapon? What is your choice for PC affinity?

Choices:

Right.
Left.
Ambidextrous.
Other. (Don''t know, but I am interested)

(Anonymous Vote)

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  08:38:52  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm left handed. I like to see my character be left handed on top of that.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  09:40:02  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would gladly choose left hand. It can confuse suddenly when you use right then switch and beat up the man with left.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  11:49:25  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am right handed, and so are most of my characters.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  11:56:33  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right handed, but ambidextrous when it comes to footwork (very useful when you're playing football, even if the opposing player knpws you, he can't be sure which foot you'll use to move/shoot the ball).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  13:27:43  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm left handed, and all of my characters are, except for one.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  14:42:51  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ambidextrous...
Go to Top of Page

Balduran Lavidah
Seeker

France
83 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  16:26:40  Show Profile  Visit Balduran Lavidah's Homepage Send Balduran Lavidah a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ambidextre. Je ne le suis pas spécialement (bien que je m'y force parfois d'utiliser mon bras gauche), mais j'ai une préférence pour l'équilibre du mouvement du corps. J'aime bien avoir un personnage capable de se servir de ses mains.

Ambidextrous. I am not him especially (although I m 'y sometimes force my left arm to use), but i have a priority for the equilibrium of the movement of the body. I love definitely have a figure able of using the hands.

"Le savoir s'apprend. La curiosité forme le savoir."

Edited by - Balduran Lavidah on 23 Jul 2010 16:59:27
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  17:05:54  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am left-handed, but many (though not all) of my pc's are ambidexterous. Thoes that are not, are left-handed, too. I think it makes a character more interesting to use a different hand than most people- you know right away that there is something special about them, since it is relatively uncommon.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  17:30:28  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Usually right handed. But have played ambi-dextrous and left-handed players as well.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  19:02:18  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Balduran Lavidah

Ambidextre. Je ne le suis pas spécialement (bien que je m'y force parfois d'utiliser mon bras gauche), mais j'ai une préférence pour l'équilibre du mouvement du corps. J'aime bien avoir un personnage capable de se servir de ses mains.

Ambidextrous. I am not him especially (although I may sometimes be forced to use my left arm), but I have a priority for the equilibrium of the movement of the body. I definitely love having a figure able to use both hands.

(I helped corrected it for you. English is very difficult and annoying. While your second sentence is correct, it may have been better to state that "I prioritize balance, or fast movement"

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  19:52:43  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the beginning only my thieves were ambidextrous; eventually, this became a main trait for my rangers too. All other characters I played were right handed.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2010 :  21:49:36  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ambidextrous. To an extent it depends on what I'm doing. If I'm on a keyboard, I'm left-handed, if I'm writing I'm right-handed, I eat left-handed, and so on.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  17:17:45  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  17:25:38  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I'm right-handed.

Characters have been right- or left-handed or even ambidextrous. In general, for trained warriors, I try to have them be capable of using the off-hand as a back-up or to surprise a foe. Just like a serious football player will practice shots and passes with both feet, a serious warrior must be prepared to use either hand.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  18:01:24  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am left handed. Since the right side of the brain controls the left side, that means we are the only ones in our right minds.

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  22:20:36  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

Ambidextrous. To an extent it depends on what I'm doing. If I'm on a keyboard, I'm left-handed, if I'm writing I'm right-handed, I eat left-handed, and so on.

A musical keyboard I'm thinking?

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2010 :  22:40:31  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like my characters to be able to use either hand...

I did have a character that had a lame leg though...it was a true challenge, but very fun, to play him because he couldn't run away from a fight. I had to think of ingenious ways of getting away, like using Feather Tokens to create trees in hallways to keep large monsters from getting to me too quickly, or even an Instant Fortress right in the middle of a hall to not only block our escape but to crush some enemies as well. Then there is the time I was forced to wrestle a lich...

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2010 :  05:11:46  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm righthanded, but try for ambidexterity for my characters every time. We have a fun system we created a long time ago at character creation for determining your character's handedness:

Roll two dice simultaneously. A d6 and a d12.
If the d12 is higher than the d6, you're right handed.
If the d6 is higher than the d12, you're left handed.
If they're equal, you're ambidextrous.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2010 :  03:00:45  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I'm right handed, I also have played the French horn on and off since 5th grade. Because the keys of the French Horn are played with the fingers of the left hand, I actually have more hand/figure dexterity in my left hand than my right. I guess training tops natural inclination.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2010 :  16:05:21  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right.

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

woodwwad
Learned Scribe

USA
267 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2010 :  22:10:29  Show Profile  Visit woodwwad's Homepage Send woodwwad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've done all 3, it depends on the pc. You should vary simple things like this up. I'm right handed but I think playing a left-handed character is interesting, different.

Check out my reviews on youtube of Forgotten Realms and other rpg products. http://www.youtube.com/user/woodwwad?feature=mhum
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2010 :  22:08:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am technically right-handed, but while working I use both with nearly equal proficiency. That means I hold a paintbrush, hammer, etc.. in whichever hand it is more convenient to be working with. However, when the project doesn't force the issue, I tend to fall back on my right, and I only write with my right.

My PCs have been right, left, and ambidextrous probably an even number of times - I never really bothered to keep track, but I don't automatically favor one over another while making a PC/NPC (unless there is a plot device it requires, or something in the characters past).

I toyed with the idea of making a sorcerer with six fingers, just to give him the 'other-worldliness' associated with Sorcerers. I might still do that, if I ever get a chance to run in someone else's campaign. I'll let the GM decide what to do with it, if anything.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  02:21:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I am technically right-handed, but while working I use both with nearly equal proficiency. That means I hold a paintbrush, hammer, etc.. in whichever hand it is more convenient to be working with. However, when the project doesn't force the issue, I tend to fall back on my right, and I only write with my right.

My PCs have been right, left, and ambidextrous probably an even number of times - I never really bothered to keep track, but I don't automatically favor one over another while making a PC/NPC (unless there is a plot device it requires, or something in the characters past).

I toyed with the idea of making a sorcerer with six fingers, just to give him the 'other-worldliness' associated with Sorcerers. I might still do that, if I ever get a chance to run in someone else's campaign. I'll let the GM decide what to do with it, if anything.

I met this swordsman who was looking for the six-fingered man...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  01:47:19  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I met this swordsman who was looking for the six-fingered man...

I had to say "other." I know right-handedness is most common in real life, and most of the characters I've created have been righties largely for that reason, though I didn't really think about it. A couple have been lefties because it simply seemed to suit them for some unknown reason. I'm a righty, myself, but my main and most-developed PC is ambidextrous with lefty preference. Somehow it fits how his unusual mind works. I do wonder, though, after all of four fencing lessons many years ago, if I'd do better at some things lefthanded than right. I only learned to write with my right hand in the first place for practical reasons, because my schoolteacher said to try both and I realized my right hand didn't smudge the pencil marks as it dragged across the page....

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")

Edited by - Laerrigan on 08 Aug 2010 01:48:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  02:06:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm right-handed, so my characters are all either right-handed or ambidextrous. I mainly liked ambidexterity for the in-game benefits. I'm no min-maxer, but I'm also not one to pass up a nifty advantage, if I can take it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000