Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Hlontar where was it???
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  15:38:20  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Dear Scribes where in the realms was the city of Hlontar??????

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  16:51:50  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's in the ruins of Teshar.
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  18:24:44  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Daggerdale.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  18:27:30  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
According to the Lich entry in Lords of Darkness, the realm of Hlontar lay in the valley along the river Tesh at the western end of the Moonsea about 600 to 800 years ago.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  18:37:03  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, founded in the ruins of Teshar by a wizard king. Can't remember his name, starts with an A and has a K in it....around 341 or so?

Edit: I meant 541, But even there my memories were off!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 19 Jul 2010 16:41:27
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  20:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alokkair became Hlontar's court wizard, then its Wizard-King soon after its founding in 536 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  21:15:27  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

According to the Lich entry in Lords of Darkness, the realm of Hlontar lay in the valley along the river Tesh at the western end of the Moonsea about 600 to 800 years ago.

What page is that?

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  21:18:02  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hlontar is mentioned on several pages (thankfully I own that one on a PDF and print so this is easy). page 67,73 and 83. Not much though.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  21:52:28  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This being REF5 Lords of Darkness, not its baking-fabled descendant. Brief mentions of its rise and fall are also in Cormanthyr and thence Lost Empires of Faerūn.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  21:52:49  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes of course. I forgot that there was a 3ed. book by the same name. Sorry
Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  21:53:56  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh! Ok. Yeah. That's why I was so confused.

Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2010 :  02:49:06  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See the Shadowdale super mod, more info on Alokkair there.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  07:09:24  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

See the Shadowdale super mod, more info on Alokkair there.

Well, I don't take the character of Alokkair in the Shadowdale: Scouring blah blah as a good response to who and what Alokkair was.

SPOILER: I mean a frickin 13th level Wizard is all they have him listed as after hundreds of years??? Seriously?

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  10:53:51  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
see the old Lords of Darkness by Ed Greenwood REF 5 Pg 84
"In the woods north and east of the settled area of Shadowdale lies Fox Ridge ...#147;Great magic lies beyond the Grinding Gulf#148;#146; says a passage in The Lore of Hlontar, an old history of the lost realm of Hlontar which lay along the River Tesh at the western end of the Moonsea 600 to 800 years ago. The Grinding Gulf is said to be #147;underground, behind a cave in the elven woods near the river Ashaba...Background: Eight hundred winters ago in the Realms, men farmed and herded sheep on the fertile banks of the river Tesh at the western end of the Moonsea. Local lords arose, their patrols defending the land against orc attacks, and the farmers prospered.
The 16th-level mage Alokkair came out of the west at this time, and befriended a minor lord, Hlonagh. With his magical aid, Hlonagh viciously defeated lord after lord until the kingdom of Hlontar was founded. Alokkair #147;the Wise#148; became its court wizard, and soon slew Hlonagh to take the throne. Alokkair the Wizard-King quickly became known for his ruthlessness. Hlonagh#146;s kin and friends, and any magicuser reaching fifth level, were hunted down and slain. Alokkair took to wife Hlonagh#146;s youngest daughter, Shalaera, overcoming her hatred and resistance by#148; #151;daughters, he changed her into the form of a red dragon, and by art drove her to attack nearby elves, who slew her with arrows. Alokkair#146;s fearful subjects attacked him repeatedly. One night his three daughters tried to kill him. Enraged, Alokkair slew two by energy drain spells. They became juju zombies under his control. The youngest, Alaphlame, was either vaporized or escaped by magic. Alokkair fled to his lair, underneath far-off Fox Ridge...

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  15:58:13  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

see the old Lords of Darkness by Ed Greenwood REF 5...The 16th-level mage Alokkair...

Like I said...can't take the one in Shadowdale seriously...I would offer actually that Alokkair was much more powerful now than even 16th level and the "Lich" fought in that module is simply a Simulacrum of the true Alokkair!

Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  16:06:33  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, the Alokkair in Shadowdale is the real one, but a much-lessened remnant (after the ravages of several spell-duels with really formidable foes). This is according to Ed, when asked about it at a GenCon about ten years back.
BB
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  16:39:48  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

No, the Alokkair in Shadowdale is the real one, but a much-lessened remnant (after the ravages of several spell-duels with really formidable foes). This is according to Ed, when asked about it at a GenCon about ten years back.
BB

Fine and dandy...from ten years ago.

Ten years ago we didn't have 3e or 4e...and Alokkair was 16th level then as well.

SPOILER: Now suddenly he is 13th level. As I said, I feel that the version presented in the Shadowdale adventure would NOT be the true Alokkair.

I just don't see him getting so much weaker as time goes on. Fine if he was hurt and lessened somewhat ten years ago according to Ed; but I refuse to accept him at such a level as presented in the module.

If Ed said he was 16th level then...he shouldn't be weaker now.

EDIT: Lords of Darkness lists Alokkair as 20th level...he was 16th when he "founded" Hlontar. I'm not inclined to agree that he would have lost so many levels.

Edited by - Dalor Darden on 17 Aug 2010 16:49:35
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  17:18:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't some of the old-school undead have level-drain?

Seems to me, since he was so fond of them, at some point a bunch of them probably turned on him.

Yes, its hokey, but its the only reasonable explanation for whats going on here. Canon is canon, after all, and even if it's sometimes better to just ignore it, i think we have a responsibility here at the keep to find reasonable explanations for these types of errors.

And I'm only responding to this thread now because I was re-reading LoD last night (haven't read it since I bought it). I am now quite interested in finding ALL the FR references to 'light' and 'darkness' - Toril has a VERY rich necromantic history.

And if we use some other lore from 1eLoD, it appears Wights can become 'Great Wights' by absorbing lots of levels from living beings. What if Allokair decided to hide amongst some wight-allies that turned on him, keeping him alive for years just so they could periodically drain him? I think not only would that explain his current de-powered state, but also some of his madness (he apparently was always psychopathic - he killed his own daughters).

And you know what the worst thing about great wights is? It is a little-known fact that they have a sonic ability similar to a banshee - it's called the 'Great Wight Wail'.

Sorry... couldn't resist.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Dec 2010 20:55:56
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2010 :  20:57:46  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aha, well, I must admit ... I never told my players that undead stopped level draining in the new editions. They did ask, I said "do you want to ask a vampire or lich to try it?" The PCs automatically run or overkill, so whether these attacks can level drain hasn't actually come up yet.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 17 Dec 2010 20:59:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000