Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 You favorite Realms City
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  11:37:16  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
This is another curious and maybe usefull Forgotten Realms poll.
I'd like to know you favorurite big city in the Realms. All city with a boxed set or a sourcebook are included. I refer only to 1e, 2e and 3e Realms.

Choices:

Calimport
Waterdeep
Zhentil Keep
Myth Drannor
Raven''s Bluff
Skullport
Westgate
Skuld
Silverymoon
Baldur''s Gate
Athkatla
Suzail

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - dragonfriend on 20 Apr 2010 11:52:43

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  11:43:44  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know there are a lot of other wonderful cities. And sorry I forgot Menzoberranzan. Think it is not a human city
Go to Top of Page

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  11:47:50  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have voted for Calimport only because it is in an interesting region. Second place for Waterdeep.
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  11:54:09  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterdeep for me, although I was torn between it and Silverymoon. The place is virtually a campaign setting in itself and is packed with all sorts of cool stuff and detailed history.

Also, can I be a pain in the bum and ask why you're only referring to 1/2/3e? :)

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  12:00:30  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

Also, can I be a pain in the bum and ask why you're only referring to 1/2/3e? :)

I don't know the 4e Realms, nothing more then this.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  12:12:18  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like Iriaebor (added some of Sharn material from Eberron), pre-Fzoul-in-power Zhentil Keep, Mezro (unique), Myth Nantar (4e risen-version), Luskan, Hlondeth, Highmoon and from your list Skuld (but this one heavily altered into an undead city on the River of Blood in Zakhara).

Oh, and below ground Dunspeirrin and Llurth Dreier cause of the magazine articles.
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  12:22:25  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dragonfriend

Fair enough!

In that case, I'll add that I do rather like the new districts added to the City of Splendours in 1400s, especially the one that's basically been built out of old navy wrecks and is all but off limits to the city watch.

Airspur (4e version) might actually be my third choice (after Waterdeep and Silverymoon), all the glowy floaty stuff tickles me, it does.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  12:35:34  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Airspur is an improvement now than before with half-orcs, Baldur's Gate is the only other positive change to the cities.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  14:11:58  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With all the information available on Waterdeep, and so much excitement going on there, it easily tops my list of favorite cities in the realms. If I were to visit the realms personally, that is the first place I would go.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  14:13:18  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myth drannor followed by Waterdeep and Suzail

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  14:44:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the options presented, I'd have to say Westgate, since it's almost always been the focal point of one of the many regions of the Realms that I find particularly interesting -- namely, the Dragon Coast.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  15:32:04  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Waterdeep for me.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  15:37:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dragonfriend

quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

Waterdeep 1479
Then check this scroll out. I do need to update some parts of it.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  16:10:12  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Athkatla, as I have grown extremely fond of it due to BG2.

Closely followed by Skullport, Calimport and Raven´s Bluff.

Cities I like, which are not in the list: Oeble and Halarahh.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  16:11:16  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Myth Drannor...
Go to Top of Page

dragonfriend
Seeker

Italy
65 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  18:18:16  Show Profile  Visit dragonfriend's Homepage Send dragonfriend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GRYPHON

Myth Drannor...

I have to say that Ruined Myth Drannor, as described in the old boxed set is something incredible. An unique atmosfear that I haven't found in any other fantasy city.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1072 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  19:27:04  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zhentil Keep - The 3 edition Zhentil Keep

Two walls one to protect the rich form the pore and one to protect the pore from the wilderness..

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 20 Apr 2010 19:29:51
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2010 :  22:20:39  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of those on the list, Westgate, but Iriaebor, Priapurl (OK, a bit to small for this contest) and Arabel deserves a honourable mentioning.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  00:32:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was reading Volo's Guide to Waterdeep that made me change from a casual fan of the setting to a serious fan of the setting. The richness of lore available for that city, the many notable NPCs there (particularly Khelben, Laeral, Kyriani, and Elaith Craulnober), and it's oh-so-very intriguing system of goverment makes it my favorite fantasy city -- not just my fave Realms city.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 21 Apr 2010 00:33:41
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  01:04:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Woot! Always a pleasure to see another Border Kingdoms fan.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  01:30:02  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Hehe Sage, I always remember that you are a big BK fan too! I think the Border Kingdoms are probably the most underrated setting in the realms. Absolutely great, I love 'em!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  01:36:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shade Enclave...so I did not vote...It's not on the list. Always like the Shadovar.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  02:05:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Hehe Sage, I always remember that you are a big BK fan too! I think the Border Kingdoms are probably the most underrated setting in the realms. Absolutely great, I love 'em!
Indeed. The Border Kingdoms, perhaps more so than any other part of the established Realms, are designed to be easily customised for particular and/or individual home Realms campaigns -- complete with swiftly shifting borders and ever-changing rulers. So there's plenty of room for changes and/or the addition of new details for your game.

Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  02:39:14  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not very original but my most interesting memories are from games i DMed in that city. So Waterdeep it is for Patrakis.

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
727 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  12:59:32  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine would be Neverwinter, but alas that is not up for a vote. Neither is Ormpur, Tashluta, Mulsantir, Luskan, Hlondeth, Selgaunt and many others...

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  13:05:27  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Myth Drannor. The second would be Silverymoon... I just like their atmosphere and ideals, I guess.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2010 :  17:03:17  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
waterdeep all the way.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  11:17:27  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not the Athkatla, for sure. Cowled wizards, government, people - I hate how they all look on magic(bloody peasants!) and how completely different is the standing of the people(Bloody nobles!). City of Sylverymoon for me.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  11:41:15  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, it's Baldur's Gate. I really came to know and love that city through Baldur's Gate I when I played my paladin Joran through the storyline, which I thought was incredible. I still enjoy playing through Baldur's Gate I and Baldur's Gate II when I have the time. It's like visiting old friends for me, and that makes it all the better. I also downloaded all of the Volo's Guides so I could get a better idea of the Realms are, their people, and what the cities look like. Those books really have helped me DM a better campaign when my players are in the cities, and they still love to go by and visit some of their old friends that they met that are used in those guides.

A second favorite city with me is Myth Drannor when it was still ruins. I feel that Wizards really made a big mistake in bringing it back, especially seeing as how it was so incredibly easy in The Last Mythal.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 23 Apr 2010 11:42:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  12:56:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

A second favorite city with me is Myth Drannor when it was still ruins. I feel that Wizards really made a big mistake in bringing it back, especially seeing as how it was so incredibly easy in The Last Mythal.

I like the idea of bringing it back, but I think they did it too quickly. I'm thinking that five years after driving the fey'ri out, it'd be somewhere between a small frontier town and an armed camp, with a lot of ruins remaining to clear out.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2010 :  13:16:35  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

I like the idea of bringing it back, but I think they did it too quickly. I'm thinking that five years after driving the fey'ri out, it'd be somewhere between a small frontier town and an armed camp, with a lot of ruins remaining to clear out.

I think I can understand that, really. I still have no clue how the few fey'ri that went with Sarya there were able to contend with the demons, devils, priests, etc that were in place inside and around the city though. Well, I know one way, but that would be speaking bad about an author, which I don't want to do here. I still wish that... certain books could have been written by an author that could approach the topic in a more intelligent fashion, and could have actually made you care about the characters involved. I apologize if I may have said something here that's considered touchy, and this is all I'll say on the matter, you have my word.

I suppose that the revival of the city could make for some interesting campaigns and adventure ideas, though. And out of curiosity, what's the current condition of Myth Drannor in 4E? I haven't read anywhere about the population of it in the new setting or how much of the city has been fully reclaimed as I'm a 3.5E/Pathfinder guy. Is there a thread anywhere here at Candlekeep that goes into more detail about the city?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000