Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 'Mega-Dungeons' of Faerun!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  12:58:15  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Afternoon sages!

I'm sure we're all fairly familiar with good old Undermountain around here, but I was wondering if there were any other mega-dungeon class PC grinders hidden away in the realms. Note, I'm just as interested in your own creations as much as those officially written up.

Mithril Hall probably would qualify prior to it's re-conquest by the dwarves, and Gauntlgrym sounds like a prime candidate. Also, they're dwarfy, which I deem to be most awesome.

Anyway, the entire continent is festooned with ruins upon magic and monster riddled ruins, so there must be hordes of prime candidates for some kind of mega-dungeon talent and beauty contest out there!

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  13:14:54  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I've read about them, no one knows how deep the Haunted Halls of Eveningstar go, so I've made plans to connect them to The World's Largest Dungeon.

Also, I've always considered the Underdark to be the best, goto place for a good, old fashioned dungeon crawl. Since, to most residents of Faerun, the Underdark is a great big mystery, I can really put whatever monsters down there I want and it works out. (my favorite: 10 HD Kobolds, the party never sees that one coming...)

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  14:30:03  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really a dungeon, but the ruins of Myth Drannor could offer alot of dungeon crawl oppertunities.

I'm currently working on a campaign were the characters are hired by Ilsevele Miritar to clear out the ruins street by street, inspired by Ruins of Adventure module.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  15:47:14  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Several of the lost dwarven settlements of the North are potential campaign dungeons, the Dungeon of the Crypt, Calimport's undercity, and Shoonach, certainly.
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  16:08:59  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
good stuff. And yes, I suppose the Underdark could qualify as a single planet sized dungeon. As for Myth Drannor, a mega-dungeon doesn't have to be a fully self contained whole, so a ruined city could certainly work.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  17:42:43  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'm parroting Faraer here ... several of the lost Dwarven settlements scattered across the north, can be seen as large dungeons ... i've once had a Dwarven Wizard exploring and trying to conquering Ammarindar from Orges and Tanarukks and what else is there (including Hellgate Keep troopers)

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  20:30:18  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would love to see the entirety of Ed's Haunted Halls published... but I'd also love to see a 3.x Cormyr sourcebook including the complete Cormyr Lineage, and certain recent events retconned out of existence, and neither of those are going to happen, so I've settled for reworking the entire world to make said recent events palatable, and in the meantime playing in a friend's 3.5 post-1400 Realms campaign (no, no Spellplague here); it's the "Next Generation" reincarnation of my last 2E campaign, in which the DM was a player.

Tyranthraxus: That sounds like a great campaign! Are you using the old Myth Drannor boxed set maps, or making your own from the smaller maps in other sources?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Tyranthraxus
Senior Scribe

Netherlands
423 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  22:53:33  Show Profile  Visit Tyranthraxus's Homepage Send Tyranthraxus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Tyranthraxus: That sounds like a great campaign! Are you using the old Myth Drannor boxed set maps, or making your own from the smaller maps in other sources?

It's going to be a 4e Realms campaign and since there isn't a new map in the 4e material of Myth Drannor, I'm using alot of different maps from various sources like Ruins of Myth Drannor, Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor, Curse of the Azure Bonds and the FR Atlas.
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  15:01:25  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm suprised that no one has mentioned my favorite - the Mines of Tethymar. It's an FR version of Moria. How much better can you get?

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  16:28:35  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well someone could go and take a look how large Warlocks Crypt really is ;)
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  17:28:17  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just looked up the mines; yup, that's Moria! How the hell did I miss that? As for the Crypt, I'd like to get a good peek in, but I have a sneaky suspicion that the only way in is if you are politely invited, and even then typical adventuring behaviour may be ill advised. :)

I've recently been pondering the possibilities of Oreme, or whatever that city in northern Anauroch is called where the Sarrukh liches 'live'. You could definitely have some prolonged desert flavoured nastiness in the city itself and whatever lies beneath it.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  00:44:39  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oreme is interesting, for sure, but my fave location in the North is Ascore... another pre-Anauroch ruin, but this one was a dwarven port of old Delzoun. Search CK for "Pyramids of Ascore" for more; it really irritates me that they've been NDA for so long...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  11:21:52  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always liked the idea of exploring Gauntlgrym: Cs versus a whole range of monsters controlled by illithids - yummy! No pesky questions about ecology, for once. "Why do the two otherwise incompatible monsters cross the road? Because the mind flayers made them!"

Given my general love affair with the Daggerford area, the House of Stone springs to mind. And I put the dungeons of Castle Greyhawk (the WGR1 version, not the WG7 version) in the ruins of Delimbiyran.

P.S. Post number 300. Yay.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2010 :  11:32:06  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shoonach!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2010 :  05:00:38  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mmm... Shoonach... I have a nasty little surprise lurking in the bowels of my Shoonach... remember Shoon IV? His attempt at lichdom actually didn't fail. So, not only is Shoon VII out there (recently returned from the body of Zallanora Argentresses (I think that's her name; sources not immediately to hand) to a form of his own choosing), but so is his ancestor... whether or not they know of each other, let alone work together, is anybody's guess...

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2010 :  09:35:55  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eh, what? Shoonach? Wasn't that the capital of that Psionic empire near Calimshan or some such?

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2010 :  09:44:01  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

Eh, what? Shoonach? Wasn't that the capital of that Psionic empire near Calimshan or some such?

Nah - it was the capital of the Shoon Empire, that encompassed Calimshan, Tethyr, Amn, and part of the Lake of Steam area (the psionic empire was called Jhaamdath, and now lies mostly beneath the Vilhon Reach; morale of the story: don't make the High Magi angry).
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2010 :  09:45:46  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shoonach was the capital of the Shoon Imperium, founded by Amahl Shoon III when he became the ruler of both Tethyr and Calimshan. Information about it can be found in Lands of Intrigue and Empires of the Shining Sea.

EDIT: Seems I got beaten to the punch on that one.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General

Edited by - Edain Shadowstar on 02 Apr 2010 09:47:36
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2010 :  10:57:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Edain Shadowstar

Shoonach was the capital of the Shoon Imperium, founded by Amahl Shoon III when he became the ruler of both Tethyr and Calimshan. Information about it can be found in Lands of Intrigue and Empires of the Shining Sea.

EDIT: Seems I got beaten to the punch on that one.

2 of my faves!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2010 :  11:01:14  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone:

2 of my faves!

But of course, they have the name Steven E. Schend on the cover.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2010 :  11:17:14  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats why!

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2010 :  18:42:05  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok ok, here's an idea; why don't we brainstorm up a bunch of stuff to populate one of these bad boys with all sorts of realmsian goodness? I don't mean necessarily statting out monsters and drawing up 5" square maps, but coming up with themes, adventure seeds and encounter ideas, etc.

I'll put Gauntlgrym into the contenders list (we needn't restrict ourselves to one though) as it seems to be pretty high profile but with relatively little canonical detail. Anyone else got one they'd particularly like to see fleshed out?

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2010 :  00:03:36  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course! The Moria of Faerun would definitely be worth a look. I've got a stock Zhentarim/Banite NPC with a habit of finding his way into dungeons and the like who should fit in quite nicely.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2010 :  02:40:33  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cleric Generic

Of course! The Moria of Faerun would definitely be worth a look. I've got a stock Zhentarim/Banite NPC with a habit of finding his way into dungeons and the like who should fit in quite nicely.

I'd like to see that map....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2010 :  08:59:39  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't the 12 Cities of the Sword be considered 'Dungeons'?

Underwater 'Dungeons'...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2010 :  12:11:27  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The most interesting underwater for me is the marid city ruins of Ahjuu in Calimshan and Solon in Raurin cause it's otherworldly.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2010 :  13:49:22  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wat was the deal with Solon?

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2010 :  14:13:15  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Imaskari Ruin...

Lets not forget...Ironfang Keep, or Castle Perilous.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2010 :  16:45:44  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Wouldn't the 12 Cities of the Sword be considered 'Dungeons'?

Underwater 'Dungeons'...

no underwater ruins, that have elf slaying undead. and didnt they become surfaced when Mystra got fatally Spanked ?

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2010 :  22:04:53  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, I was vaguely aware that Solon is of Imaskari origin, what I don't know is this 'otherworldly' aspect that Kno alluded to.

The 12 Cities of the Sword are the Jhaamdathi ones that got aqua-nuked by the elves in the Vilhon Reach, right? A quick scan of the Vilhon Wilds section of the 4e setting doesn't reveal anything about drained psionic necropoli, so we can just assume they are drained or not as suits our needs, I suppose. I does have some interesting things to say about spell-scarred pilgrimages to the area though.

While we're on the topic of 4e candidates, any of the big holes could be filled with fun stuff, the midget one in High Imaskar has something called the Bride Keep stuck in it. Not to mention the entire nation of Thay.

Also, should the question arise for this little project, lets concentrate more on the dungeon and it's contents than picking an edition to set it in.

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2010 :  11:22:46  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The old dwarven Kingdom of Oghrann comes to my mind. It is found beneath the Plain of Tun - between the Stormhorns on the east and the Sunset Mountains, Far Hills, and Easting Peaks on the west. That is a rather large area, IMO and supposedly full of tunnels and caverns filled with monsters guarding ancient but mighty dwarven magics and other riches. IIRC it now is controlled by a family of black dragons.

I always wanted to do a Campaign around this old lost and forgotten dwarven realm but never came around to it. However, I think it would very much qualify for a 'mega dugeon'.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 05 Apr 2010 11:23:44
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000