Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Solo Player Adventures
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  20:46:50  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was just wondering, if there ever existed any D&D or FR solo player adventures?

When I was a kid, there where these D&D solo player books, then there where Fighting Fantasy books by Jackson & Livingston and then there where these real solo player adventures I played in the DSA-setting (The Dark Eye), where you basically took a decision how to continue in the story and then read on at the according plot number. In the fights you were DM and player at the same time and they basically applied all the rules of the setting, not just some mini-rules like the solo player books mentioned above.

Anyone? Just out of curiosity.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  21:07:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TSR put out some for... 2e. Let me see if I can find them again. :)

That's right, it was the Fighter, Cleric, Wizard, or Thief challenge adventures. Nobleknight has some of the thief challenge ones for sale.

But you can find out about them here:

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/dd1/dd1.htm

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 01 Sep 2009 21:16:09
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  21:59:53  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice link by the way! There is a lot of interesting 2e stuff I had not heard of.

Ok, I checked the adventures but it says, you need a DM and a player. Have you heard of adventures that you can also play without DM?

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  22:11:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Nice link by the way! There is a lot of interesting 2e stuff I had not heard of.

Ok, I checked the adventures but it says, you need a DM and a player. Have you heard of adventures that you can also play without DM?

Don't think TSR ever went that far that they made some without a DM and a player.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  01:29:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think the closest they did was the Super Endless Quest series of books. They were of the "Choose Your Own Adventure" mold, with some die rolls added in.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  02:03:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I think the closest they did was the Super Endless Quest series of books. They were of the "Choose Your Own Adventure" mold, with some die rolls added in.

Yeah. I've got most of those stored around here somewhere. They were okay, but never interesting enough to slip into my regular rotation of similarly-structured books. I kind of stuck more to "Fighting Fantasy."

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  16:09:45  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
[Yeah. I've got most of those stored around here somewhere. They were okay, but never interesting enough to slip into my regular rotation of similarly-structured books. I kind of stuck more to "Fighting Fantasy."

Yeah, Fighting Fantasy was really good!
And the origin of my question was, that DSA published adventures that were built like those FF-books, but with the game mechanics of the DSA-RPG-setting.
So I thought maybe something like this also existed in D&D.
Anyways, thanks for the feedback!

Go to Top of Page

Apex
Learned Scribe

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  16:21:20  Show Profile  Visit Apex's Homepage Send Apex a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, there were a few solo adventures put out back in the day. They are:

BSOLO Ghost of Lion Castle
M1 Blizzard Pass

Both of these were for D&D, but can be easily used with AD&D (or 2nd edition).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  16:50:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
[Yeah. I've got most of those stored around here somewhere. They were okay, but never interesting enough to slip into my regular rotation of similarly-structured books. I kind of stuck more to "Fighting Fantasy."

Yeah, Fighting Fantasy was really good!
I was always kind of partial to the various "Zagor" books. Good stuff!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  17:18:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kinght of the Living Dead Catacombs solo adventure.

I enjoyed it.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Sep 2009 17:19:10
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  18:19:41  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Solo books. My nostalgic philter was hitted with this.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  18:39:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I enjoyed it.

I've actually got an extra copy of that one... I need to read it, sometime.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2009 :  01:03:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I enjoyed it.

Heh. 'Tis been a while since I've read it. Since 1989, I'd imagine.

Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2009 :  02:14:30  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about this the other day. I am one who NEVER gets a chance to actually play the PnP game but would love to. Mainly because it is so hard to find a group to game with. I wonder how much of a market is out there for something like this. I know that video game RPG's and MMO's are out there that allow for solo play. But there still isn't anyway for an individual like me to enjoy the PnP game. I would be all over solo adventures if they ever went that route again.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2009 :  02:30:52  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for the info guys! I will check these out!

I really liked the solo books and solo adventures that I read/played in the past. Would be great, if Wizards put some out. I guess there will always be quite a lot of people without gaming groups who would appreciate it!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000