Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 WOTC RPG Associtate Game Designer position
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  22:21:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://hasbro.recruitmax.com/main/careerportal/Job_Profile.cfm?szOrderID=3476

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  22:49:22  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So are they starting 5th Edition plan?

4th Ed design team appears very pleased with what they put out, *sighs*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  23:15:10  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Note – There is no relocation assistance for this position."

means:

"Note - This job is for suckers or unemployed people with low self-esteem, OR for other gaming industry dudes in the area of Renton/Seattle, which means we don't want to bring any fresh air in this organization and we like to keep it open only for those who we think could fit in our old, diseased and decrepit old boys network of D&D lifers who wear shorts and sandals (with gray socks) well into their fourties, and think they're still cool."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2008 :  23:34:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

"Note – There is no relocation assistance for this position."

means:

"Note - This job is for suckers or unemployed people with low self-esteem, OR for other gaming industry dudes in the area of Renton/Seattle, which means we don't want to bring any fresh air in this organization and we like to keep it open only for those who we think could fit in our old, diseased and decrepit old boys network of D&D lifers who wear shorts and sandals (with gray socks) well into their fourties, and think they're still cool."

That's hardly fair. Just because they don't want to shell out extra money to get someone there doesn't mean they don't want fresh air. Moving can be expensive -- especially if breaking a lease is involved. And it's also not a fair characterization to say there is no fresh talent in the Renton area.

I'm all for bashing WotC, too, but let's be reasonable about it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  02:10:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, Wooly. I'm a Seattle-ite myself, my day-job being in Renton, so take it from me: the D&D lifer crowd here does not fit the listed stereotypes whatsoever.

I personally know and am friends with quite a few people in the local area who are very talented and would be huge assets to WotC.

Relocation assistance is, in these times of economic apocalypse, more of a courtesy than a standard. And Seattle/Renton is an extremely pricey area (second probably to San Francisco on this coast).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  05:41:00  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You get what you pay for in life. That's all I'll say about it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  06:27:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

You get what you pay for in life. That's all I'll say about it.

Be reasonable. When moving, you've got to pay for the truck, the gas, the movers (if you use professionals), and possibly breaking the lease of the place you're at (which, at my last apartment, was a fine of two months' rent). Then, on the other end, you've got hotel costs until the person finds a place to live. If it's an apartment, you've got a security deposit and likely the first month's rent, and possibly a pet deposit, as well. If it's a house, you've got all the associated costs with the purchase -- which includes appraisals, inspections, insurance, and closing costs. Either way, once a place to live is found, then you've got deposits on utilities and services.

All in all, you're looking at several thousand dollars, on top of whatever salary your new person wants. And I'm going to assume that game designers are not well paid, so that several thousand dollars spent on relocation can effectively be 20% or more of the person's starting salary. With profit margins tight, an economy that's iffy to say the least, and a not overly large budget to work with, do you really think WotC is going to willingly shell out that kind of money for someone who might not work out once he or she is there?

No business in WotC's position would do that, so why come down on WotC for not doing it?

Erik proves that there is talent in that area -- hells, Jeff Grubb is still in that area, and he was one of the best people to ever work on Realms stuff! With talent in the area, why shell out money to import it?

I hate what WotC's done to the setting, too, as well as to the game. But I'm not going to go looking for reasons to bash them, especially when it's not appropriate. When they deserve it, I'll speak. When they don't, I'll defend them against those who do bash them without reason.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Oct 2008 06:31:02
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  09:25:26  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
That's hardly fair. Just because they don't want to shell out extra money to get someone there doesn't mean they don't want fresh air. Moving can be expensive -- especially if breaking a lease is involved. And it's also not a fair characterization to say there is no fresh talent in the Renton area.

Well they DO require the usual "Five plus year of gaming industry experience", so they arent asking for "random newbies" but rather people who know their job. So its not unreasonable to think moving them to the company headquarters would be too bad or unwarranted. Communicating with other team members just doesnt work well over long distance.

After seeing the WotC offices in Dorkness Rising though I wouldnt really want to work there myself ... office cubicles are sooo unstylish and un-gamerish and really "80s slavedriver style".

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5

Edited by - Pandora on 11 Oct 2008 09:26:15
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  17:05:30  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My topic got highjacked. :) All I'm saying.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2008 :  19:59:03  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Erik proves that there is talent in that area -- hells, Jeff Grubb is still in that area, and he was one of the best people to ever work on Realms stuff! With talent in the area, why shell out money to import it?

Wolf Baur also lives in the area, and he's one of the best designers I know.

And of course Paizo operates in the area, and we know how much wicked talent is over there.

Not to mention the dozens of amateur gamers/designers I've gamed with over the 3.5 years I've lived here.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  01:17:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

My topic got highjacked. :) All I'm saying.

Indeed. I'd actually like to see a little more discussion on the actual information contained in the link Kuje initially posted.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  02:33:55  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am still wondering why they are recuiting now?

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  06:00:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Too many defections to Paizo, perhaps? Simple attrition? Mayhaps they want new blood for a totally new product line... I don't think we'll find out without an insider specifically saying something, and usually that kind of thing is prohibited.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2008 :  18:15:30  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be shocked if Eytan Bernstein didn't apply for and receive the position

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  07:35:40  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

If I had to speculate, I'd think they might be hiring to beef up the e-zine content from in-house. Now that they're charging people for access, they can't afford to be understaffed in that area.

But I might be completely wrong too.

And on a tangent to the topic, I can't criticize them for the no-relocation aid for the position (based on reasons others' have said). But I've yet to see a position in which they -do- offer relocation aid, and that may just be WotC or Hasbro policy.

However considering the massive delays in the DDI and the year they spent partially outsourced to Radiant Machine with essentially no product to show for it, it seems like suicide to restrict their potential talent pool to locals only in that other department (especially with a good number of those positions still not filled months later). I also would worry with that locals only caveat about the ability to recruit the best coding talent unless they're willing to pay those folks industry standard or better - which (idle speculation) probably runs higher than the game designers for WotC, if the salary range in my gaming group for professional code-monkeys is a good estimate.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.

Edited by - Shemmy on 15 Oct 2008 07:37:02
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  16:11:47  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if the guy who got this position last year got laid off in the mass layoffs at WotC a couple of months ago...might not be that great of job security...

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  16:32:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I wonder if the guy who got this position last year got laid off in the mass layoffs at WotC a couple of months ago...might not be that great of job security...

It could be a newly-created position, or it could be replacing a long-time staffer who left for his own reasons. We don't know enough to make any calls here.

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2008 :  20:07:56  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I'd be shocked if Eytan Bernstein didn't apply for and receive the position

From your mouth to God's ears Brian. I certainly did apply.

On another note, WotC has offered relocation for other positions on numerous other occasions - just not on this one.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  01:49:48  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What constitutes a mass layoff in your opinion? This is interesting to me, due to what I do in my RW job, assisting unemployed folks. From anything I was able to read, it was not "mass".

Edited by - scererar on 16 Oct 2008 01:51:42
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2008 :  01:59:19  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this online e-zine and other apps are not going to be a hit... that's just my engineer's intuition though, after browsing the various demos and previews...
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2008 :  14:49:34  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

quote:

What constitutes a mass layoff in your opinion? This is interesting to me, due to what I do in my RW job, assisting unemployed folks. From anything I was able to read, it was not "mass".

To my knowledge, this is a new position, not a replacement.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  03:00:11  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eytan - you got that job yet?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  20:57:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hopefully Eytan, along with Brian (and dare I hope George?) will be able to save the 4e Realms from the mediocracey that is currently plaguing it.

They need good talent like those guys to keep us interested.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  22:31:56  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure they can save it, just as soon as they actually start publishing stuff for the Realms. Not this exercise in Cordell's ego that's currently masquerading as the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2008 :  23:16:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's have a little less designer bashing, please.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  02:22:44  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this that job which requires the holder to wear a suit -- you know, the suit which has those concentric red and white circles on the back?

(Pace, Mr. Larson!)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  04:53:49  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

I'm sure they can save it, just as soon as they actually start publishing stuff for the Realms. Not this [true story, however the names have been eliminated to protect the guilty] that's currently masquerading as the Realms.

Everything is salvageable... WotC proved it by moving for a full reset of Greyhawk.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  06:43:55  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Taldorans are also trying to salvage their crumbling, decadent empire... but their colonies are now countries in their own right, and have moved on.

For more Golarion goodness, please consult the Pathfinder Chronicles Campaign Setting. It's awesome. Perhaps even better then [gasp!] any of the FR stuff I've ever read. Not entirely blasphemous talk if I say so myself, as Ed Greenwood co-wrote that book. Anyone who hasn't purchased it here should do so quickly. It's that good. Do it. Now.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  06:56:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paizo does something weird - they leave all of the 'Ed Flavor' in Ed's writing.

Hasn't anyone told them they are supposed to edit-out all the 'good stuff'.

And I wouldn't knock Mr.Cordell like that - he used to be one of my favorite designers back in 2e (I still use College of Wizardry).

I think he just lost his head...

(and yeah, that was a REAL bad joke, if anyone even got it).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Oct 2008 06:58:42
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  16:27:46  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Designer implies something. Unfortunately for 'That One', taking a bucket of white wash to a setting doesn't count.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2008 :  17:17:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

quote:

Designer implies something. Unfortunately for 'That One', taking a bucket of white wash to a setting doesn't count.

And I will again say: unless you have specific evidence to offer that he was solely responsible, then don't accuse him.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000