Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Favorite Supporting Characters
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  16:00:29  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was wondering, what is everyone's favorite supporting character in a FR Novel? (they can be a main character of a short story but not of a full novel). I think that I myself have to go with Mirt, Merciless or Moneylender.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.

Edited by - Mythander on 11 Jul 2003 16:01:46

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  16:43:42  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oo-Oo, Ivan and Pikel, for sure!

And the imp in the Cleric Quintet.
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  17:04:49  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Agreed, Salvator has some of the best supporting Characters. I cannot count the amount of times Ivan and Pikel made me laugh in that series.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  19:47:08  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaith Craulnober and Jarlaxle.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  21:42:58  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Elaith Craulnober and Jarlaxle.

NICE

Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  00:29:59  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Daryth from Darkwalker on Moonshae (Drizzt's prototype)

Princess Alusair

Quenthel Baenre ( I really really Love her) (have her on my desk top as well:) (cover of Insurrection)

AH YES DARYTH the Calisham man (Avoiding swearing) from Darkwalker on Moonshae.

INCIDENTALLY Daryth is who DRIZZT is based off of. Salvatore wanted to write a series of novels about Daryth, but he died in the book. So TSR gave him the idea of a Dark Elf. RA salvatore kept the scimatars though.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  00:31:15  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bellua Aeneus Lacerta

Oo-Oo, Ivan and Pikel, for sure!

And the imp in the Cleric Quintet.

Druzil.

Oh yeah I like Danika too.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  02:48:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the main character from a short story category, I would have to say, Tertius Wands.

For a supporting character from main novels - Elaith Craulnober.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  07:52:13  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

TSR gave him the idea of a Dark Elf.

Salvatore said that he had thought up that himself.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  08:28:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where did you read that Bookwyrm?.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  09:26:23  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's in his forward to the Dark Elf Trilogy (Collecter's Edition). He talks about how he thought up the character on a moment's notice. Drizzt was also originally a sidekick to Wulfgar, but when he actually started writing, he realized Drizzt was the main character. That's why he wrote the Dark Elf trilogy in the first place; he wanted to learn where this character had come from.

(And if it sounds weird to hear of an author wanting to learn more about a character (s)he created, then you aren't an author yourself. Sometimes stories and characters take on a whole life of their own. I think that's where the myth of the muse came from; sometimes it feels like it's not really you writing, that you're just a channel for the story to come out.)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  09:45:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Figures . I purchased the collector's edition several months ago, but since I had already read the trilogy in single book format, I never really bothered to read through the collected edition. I simply placed it on my over-populated shelf and really didn't think about it...until now.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  09:47:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although this is similar to the story about the 'Cleric Quintet' which was originally supposed to be about a 1e Monk character, but was then changed to represent the cleric class in the novels.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  09:55:39  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, take it out and read the begining. There's a foreward by Ed Greenwood, and after that is the one by Salvatore. Both are interesting.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  09:58:52  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never got the CQ Collecter's Edition. Does it have a similar about-the-story forward?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  09:59:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just did. I cannot believe that I did not make an effort to read these material earlier .

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  10:13:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes it does. It basically states that RAS was originally asked to publish a trilogy based on a 1e monk character. But as the story idea progressed 1e changed and became AD&D 2e. Since there were no monk character classes, the story's main character had to be changed. TSR decided to go with a cleric, but RAS was unsure since he had never really played a cleric character class before. The number of books in the story was also changed from 3 to 5. There is more, but this is the basic theme of the forward.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  10:21:57  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah. Maybe someone should do a novel on a monk, now that they're back. I think we've had everyone else as a main character -- even excluding the characters like Drizzt who are heavily multiclassed.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  10:31:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's an interesting idea to consider. But I have been really waiting for a decent Druid novel, or even something based on a 3e Bard.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  10:38:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually since the short story in Halls of Stormweather about the opera by Guerren Bloodquill, I have been toying with the idea of writing a story myself based on sinister musical works penned by an evil Bard. Taking into consideration my nearly-capable classical music training and the minor piano solo I once wrote and performed at school, this would at first appear to be an easy task, but finding the right essence for the character is where the magic really works .

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  10:38:28  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, I forgot the druid. The 3e bard's also a good choice. Another thing would be something based around a particular prestige class. Or a particular template -- like the half-dragon. That one would be interesting. A bit hard to do, though.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  10:41:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PrC are a good idea, but considering the multitudes of classes published, the real difficulty would be in deciding which one to use.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  10:41:49  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good idea. I've been curious about the idea of evil bards and monks. They're less obvious than other evil characters. An evil druid would also be somewhat interesting.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  10:43:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We really have to stop posting at the same time Bookwyrm. It is becoming frustrating .

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  10:44:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

PrC are a good idea, but considering the multitudes of classes published, the real difficulty would be in deciding which one to use.

Well, personally, I've taken a liking to the Duelist PrC, ever since I read the description. It would make for an interesting character.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  10:45:53  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  10:54:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like to see a Ghostwalker PrC in a novel, or maybe even something along the lines of a True Necromancer. But as I said before, there are simply so many to choose from, that I could never really hit upon one that stands above the rest.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  11:00:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keeping in line with this scroll though, I think that there are some interesting PrC possibilities that could be useful as supporting characters, or even as antagonists. For example the Aglarondan Griffonrider PrC could be useful for a novel based in Aglarond, or the Thayan Slaver, for a novel based in Thay.

A group of Peerless Archer's would have been useful in the events surrounding the attacks on Evereska, while an Illithid Savant could work well in an Underdark novel.

Many interesting possibilities...

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  11:02:31  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True. Most of them either don't stand out well enough or they simply aren't suited for a main character in a novel. For instance, the Drunken Master PrC stands out -- rather prominantly. But I don't think it would be good for a main character. A sidekick, yes -- I can imagine the crusty, drunken, down-on-his luck monk catching the eye of a young, inexperienced hero-type. That would work, as long as you keep a safe distance from the associated cliches. But it wouldn't work in the opposite direction.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  11:19:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have never really put much faith in the usefulness of the Druken Master PrC. In fact I have always gone out of my way to prevent my players from choosing it. The only way I have ever considered using something like this is, as an NPC for the party when they enter an inn or tavern, and the resident drunk, challenges a member of the party to a duel for some imagined alcohol induced insult.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2003 :  11:39:05  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here. It seems to me to be a PrC made for an NPC.

::blinks at the alphabet soup coming from his own mouth in one sentence . . . .::

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000