Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 NWN 2 - Finally
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  11:53:12  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well I am finally going to be able to play NWN 2. My brother purchased a state of the art computer that can handle the game so I will be stealing his computer when he is away to play this game. Happy times

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  16:51:22  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Well I am finally going to be able to play NWN 2. My brother purchased a state of the art computer that can handle the game so I will be stealing his computer when he is away to play this game. Happy times
Yeah, I played it on my friend's computer at first, and then my little brother left his desktop with my wife and I when he went off to boot camp, then bought a laptop with similar specs when he got out of boot camp, so we now have a computer that can play it! Need to play through the 1st expansion before the second comes out. One of my goals on my 3 month hiatus from WoW.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  04:11:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Enjoy.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2008 :  22:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I may be the only scribe on this forum who hasn't yet tried NWN 2 but is still playing NWN 1!

The reason for this has been my lack of funds... I just updated my computer and I *think* it might run the game now (hey, I'm a librarian, and state-of-the-art computers are beyond my meager salary). I'm going to purchase it eventually, though...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2008 :  23:05:11  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nothing wrong with still enjoying NWN1. That was one game that was always installed on my computer for something like 5 years straight. Plus, my CD1 from it is developing a crack it has been used so much (need to copy that so I have a back-up, I would be sad if it broke).

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  00:09:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Hey, I may be the only scribe on this forum who hasn't yet tried NWN 2 but is still playing NWN 1!

Well, NWN1 is a good system (I say system because there's more to it than a single game), so enjoy.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 16 Jul 2008 00:09:20
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  05:28:20  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

Well, NWN1 is a good system (I say system because there's more to it than a single game), so enjoy.

I went through the entire NWN 1 game with expansions. My son is now trying his hand at this one. Doing well too I am currently running NWN 2's expansion on my laptop. good fun when I have the time to play.

Edited by - scererar on 16 Jul 2008 05:29:37
Go to Top of Page

Jimbobx
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  06:18:21  Show Profile Send Jimbobx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The reason for this has been my lack of funds... I just updated my computer and I *think* it might run the game now (hey, I'm a librarian, and state-of-the-art computers are beyond my meager salary). I'm going to purchase it eventually, though...

Purchased NWN2 but the old girl couldn't handle the graphics. It ran but it was slooooowwww.
But life isn't too bad for the NWN1'ers. With CEP2.1 and the 1.69 patch out the game is better than ever.

Rilyetan's Retreat

Jimbob's Waterdeep Journal
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  08:36:08  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Oh, how I know this problem...! Unfortunatelly I don't have a brother's computer to hi-jack.

Anyhow, good gaming!

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  09:27:11  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I eagerly got NWNII when it came out but about 2/3s of the way through the game, got increasingly bored with the main campaign plus the interface really irked me and the camera angles where dam annoying at times. So eventually I just stopped playing it as I just grew dis-satisfied with it as a follow up to NWN. I was hoping for a much better game than what I bought.
However this is just my opinion, those who haven't tried the game, please go ahead and make up your own minds.

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  17:46:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just want to let everyone know that even if the official campaign that comes with the games is unsatisfying, there are (usually fan-made) modules that can be downloaded from NWVault. The franchise has been around long enough so that the games that are generally regarded as "good" are very easy to find (that is, you don't have to wade through thousands of crappy games to find one gem). There are also some modules made by Bioware, though you have to pay for them, as well as modules made by actual game development teams.

Go to Top of Page

Jimbobx
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2008 :  20:23:44  Show Profile Send Jimbobx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just want to let everyone know that even if the official campaign that comes with the games is unsatisfying, there are (usually fan-made) modules that can be downloaded from NWVault. The franchise has been around long enough so that the games that are generally regarded as "good" are very easy to find (that is, you don't have to wade through thousands of crappy games to find one gem). There are also some modules made by Bioware, though you have to pay for them, as well as modules made by actual game development teams.

Absolutely. As far as I'm concerned the Official Campaigns that come with NWN1 are barely worth playing. The original NWN was boring, SOU was almost passable while HotU was just alright. What makes NWN1 the game it is is the modules created by the community. There are a few really excellent FR based mods. Of the top of my head "an Ancient Heart" and "Ancient Heart 2" spring to mind. As Rin said, all available to download on Nwn Vault.

Rilyetan's Retreat

Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  17:20:26  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of the best user-made NWN modules are the ones that aren't set in FR. Actually, I'd say most of them are. HeX Coda, Tale of Arterra, Elegia Eternum/Excrucio Eternum, and so on.

Regardless, NWN2's official campaign is piss. Mask of the Betrayer's OC is, however, perfection itself.
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2008 :  22:58:16  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I always think that the "alignment point system" is a good idea for adaptation into paper D&D rules, but I am also disappointed when stealing every gold piece from civilians in an inn has no consequences ...

If you cant say what youre meaning,
you can never mean what youre saying.

- Centauri Minister of Intelligence, Babylon 5
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  00:01:13  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pandora

...but I am also disappointed when stealing every gold piece from civilians in an inn has no consequences ...
Yes, that was part of the fun with being a thief in the BG series, the challenge of stealing things right under the noses (or right out of the pockets) of the NPCs.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  11:12:21  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't bought NWN2 because first I need a new PC to play it on and I need the time. Currently I have neither. Although oddly enough I am part of a team (writing/editing dialogues and journals) that make NWN2 modules, which is a consequence of being involved with NWN and related persistent worlds.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  11:16:47  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am also disappointed when stealing every gold piece from civilians in an inn has no consequences ...

Because really it should cause a reaction, shouldn't it.

I wonder if the problem is that the NPC's in the tavern are all standard issue and the designers haven't thought to boost their spot skills. When I've worked modules I've always tried to make the NPC's as relevant as possible. Typically, I give them several PC class levels as well as multiple response dialogues so that PC's get a 95% chance of hearing different response.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Jimbobx
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  13:44:36  Show Profile Send Jimbobx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

quote:

I am also disappointed when stealing every gold piece from civilians in an inn has no consequences ...

Because really it should cause a reaction, shouldn't it.

I wonder if the problem is that the NPC's in the tavern are all standard issue and the designers haven't thought to boost their spot skills. When I've worked modules I've always tried to make the NPC's as relevant as possible. Typically, I give them several PC class levels as well as multiple response dialogues so that PC's get a 95% chance of hearing different response.

What would happen if the designers had boosted their spot skills?

Rilyetan's Retreat

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  14:29:29  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobx

What would happen if the designers had boosted their spot skills?

It's been about three years since I was actively doing this sort of thing, so I may have given the wrong skill.

Anyway, as I recall/understand it a Pick Pocket skill check is opposed by the potential victim's Spot check. If the potential target spots your PC's Pick Pocket attempt then your PC is very likely to become the victim of an assault.

If I recall NWN rightly, the NPC's faction sets so that the PC's faction is considered differently, even hostilely in some cases.

Edit: So to answer your question, higher Spot levels mean their Pick Pocket attempts are less successful. In the taverns I created I would give high Spot skills to bar-staff and the half-orc bouncers who worked the doors. Obviously some of the customers would be easy targets but if you give them random walks and randomised timed triggers so that PC's couldn't farm then you've done your best to make it a fairly realistic setting. I also made a few of the 'regulars" severely tooled up so that low level rogues would soon travel to the Fugue Plane.

It was a lot of hard work to do but fun to visit once it had worked out. And then someone hacked the forums and killed the community. C'est la vie, eh?

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 01 Aug 2008 14:35:34
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2008 :  17:32:19  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well I always think that the "alignment point system" is a good idea for adaptation into paper D&D rules...

I've always disliked it (did I say that already?). In the NWN2 official campaign, the game seems to think people are either Lawful Good or Chaotic Evil.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 01 Aug 2008 17:33:22
Go to Top of Page

Thangorn
Seeker

New Zealand
84 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  12:10:54  Show Profile Send Thangorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only reason I got NWN2 is to build the Moonsea as accurately to canon as I can manage..

What we've been able to do is amazing and I openly welcome any Candlekeepers to ALFA to come and enjoy it.
I spend ridiculous amounts of time building for real roleplayers, not munchkin gamers, and I hope what I and the Moonsea team have been able to create will inspire you.

btw.. If you are wondering about the ALFA credentials, I've been a devoted old school 2nd Edition (+ players option) Forgotten Realms player for 18 years and many ALFAns have much more FAerun/D&D experience than me..!!

Feel free to come on down and check it out..

alandfaraway.org

Ex-A Land Far Away (ALFA) DM/Builder

Faerunian Canon Despot
Go to Top of Page

Tarus Bloodheart
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2008 :  19:53:40  Show Profile  Visit Tarus Bloodheart's Homepage Send Tarus Bloodheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone I was wondering if there are any FGR games that will work with vista I have NWN2 but can't get it to work sorry if this has been posted before thanks for your time.
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2008 :  08:31:11  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Well I always think that the "alignment point system" is a good idea for adaptation into paper D&D rules...

I've always disliked it (did I say that already?). In the NWN2 official campaign, the game seems to think people are either Lawful Good or Chaotic Evil.

Well the implementation wasnt great, but IMO deciding ahead of time how certain actions affect a PCs alignment and - most importantly - that the alignment is not fixed and set in stone forever is a good idea. If you give your players several ways to solve a problem its nice to see how they decide: Do they take the burden of defending a village against overwhelming odds or rather steal as much as they can in the chaos? The hardest alignment to follow is probably true neutral.

The consequences of stealing from a civilian should not be simply based upon getting caught or not. I was referring to taking stuff from a locked chest or table or something, so spotting them wasnt really an option. A game should give the option to steal, but with a price to pay ... possible change of your alignment to something you dont like. Having a PC arrested in a game like NWN is a. not fun, b. without consequences (like sleeping for new spells ... you can do it in an instant) or c. potentially gamebreaking because your character is too poor to pay the fine / bribe to get out of jail. Games are part of our societies and culture and they are a part of how our children learn how to behave. "Teaching" them that stealing has no consequences is not the right thing to do IMO. Even if it is "only a game" I think part of it shapes our behaviour because " a lie repeated often enough becomes true" and kids spend a lot of time with games.

Edited by - Pandora on 05 Aug 2008 08:33:05
Go to Top of Page

Jimbobx
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2008 :  13:42:44  Show Profile Send Jimbobx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I was referring to taking stuff from a locked chest or table or something, so spotting them wasn’t really an option. A game should give the option to steal, but with a price to pay ... possible change of your alignment to something you don’t like.

Many fan created modules and certainly any module I've been involved in will have consequences built in for stealing.
For example in a crypt area I'm working on breaking into a sarcophagus will be rewarded with an alignment shift 2points toward chaotic & 2 points Evil. Thus deterring those pesky Crypt looting Paladins .

Rilyetan's Retreat

Edited by - Jimbobx on 05 Aug 2008 22:17:49
Go to Top of Page

Pandora
Learned Scribe

Germany
305 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2008 :  15:48:06  Show Profile  Visit Pandora's Homepage Send Pandora a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Many fan created modules and certainly module I've been involved in will have consequences built in for stealing.
For example in a crypt area I'm working on breaking into a sarcophagus will be rewarded with an alignment shift 2points toward chaotic & 2 points Evil. Thus deterring those pesky Crypt looting Paladins .

That is a good thing to hear ... sadly none of the NWN original campaigns had it, so morality seems low priority with that design team .

Edited by - Pandora on 05 Aug 2008 15:48:48
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2008 :  16:22:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That is a good thing to hear ... sadly none of the NWN original campaigns had it, so morality seems low priority with that design team .

Actually, the sequels did have consequences for stealing (especially Shadows of Undrentide), but once again I disliked the implementation, which was inconsistent at best.

I've found that most games that decide to play "morality police" do so in ways that I wind up having objections to, so I honestly don't see the problem with trusting that the majority of players are actually going to play the alignment they picked. If a person plays a paladin who likes to steal, we might rightly say that's stupid and pointless, but if it's a single-player game it's not hurting anyone. What's really dumb, I think, is implementing draconian alignment-shifting just to punish those people (who again, likely aren't affecting anyone else's game).

Remember--this is a computer game. In a single player computer game, there is no human DM on hand to discuss moral issues and rulings with. All there is is what is scripted, so I think it's more fair to give players the benefit of the doubt.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 05 Aug 2008 16:35:16
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2008 :  16:26:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I hope you're going to explain your rationale for that somewhere (in-game or outside of it). I wouldn't be surprised if you get feedback from people who are POed at such a penalty (not everyone plays paladins, let alone crypt-looting ones).

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2008 :  16:29:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Games are part of our societies and culture and they are a part of how our children learn how to behave. "Teaching" them that stealing has no consequences is not the right thing to do IMO. Even if it is "only a game" I think part of it shapes our behaviour because " a lie repeated often enough becomes true" and kids spend a lot of time with games.

Sorry, but I'm going to be blunt with you: I'm an adult and I think I have a good sense of morals. I don't need to be taught morality through games I play for fun. Not only that, but I may take issue with the morals you (and I mean "you" in the general sense) attempt to teach me--I might find them poorly thought out and/or inconsistent.

I think I'm safe in assuming that most NWN players are not small children.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 05 Aug 2008 16:30:17
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2008 :  17:00:40  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just bought NWN2 yesterday...

I play a male strongheart halfling rogue/paladin of Arvoreen going by the name of Tolbin Rondilon. I played through the night and got in big trouble with the wify, who was expecting me to be bright eyed and bushy-tailed for the many chores she had lined up for me...
Go to Top of Page

Jimbobx
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2008 :  21:17:22  Show Profile Send Jimbobx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I hope you're going to explain your rationale for that somewhere (in-game or outside of it). I wouldn't be surprised if you get feedback from people who are POed at such a penalty (not everyone plays paladins, let alone crypt-looting ones).

Disturbing the interred bodies of somebody's loved one (laying it on thick here ) = bad. Get's them 2 points evil.

Robbing said body = naughty, naughty. Get's them 2 points chaotic.

That said I'm thinking of modifying that to 1 point of each. That way they'd get to break into and rob around 20 sarcophagi before it had an effect on their alignment; and I can't say fairer than that.

Rilyetan's Retreat

Edited by - Jimbobx on 05 Aug 2008 21:56:21
Go to Top of Page

Jimbobx
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
109 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2008 :  21:19:24  Show Profile Send Jimbobx a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I played through the night and got in big trouble with the wify, who was expecting me to be bright eyed and bushy-tailed for the many chores she had lined up for me...

That sounds familiar

Rilyetan's Retreat

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000