Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Baldur's gate
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  06:22:21  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I finally decided to read this novel because my current campaign will soon move in the Baldur's gate area.

I have read a lot of bad stuff about this novel over the years.

... ...

Hopefully, I've read more recent works of the author...

Who was saying that the Heroes of Phlan was the worst fiction of the Realms already?

Edited by - Skeptic on 12 Dec 2007 06:23:56

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  09:12:07  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could have been me ( Once Around the Realms is worse though). Allthough I must admit that I have not read Baldur's Gate.
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  10:06:35  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha, this was one of the few books I bought in Spanish - trying to improve the language. Don't know why I didn't finish it, even after three efforts .

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  10:08:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I disliked the first two Heroes of Phlan books so much that I've not read the third one...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  10:51:50  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are slightly...tedious...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  14:04:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't say I enjoyed the Baldur's Gate novels, sorry. Not only where they pretty poor overall (though they get progressively better), but I doubt you'll learn very much about Baldur's Gate from them (remember, only the first novel even takes place in and around Baldur's Gate).

I dare say you'd learn more about the Baldur's Gate area from the game (seriously).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 12 Dec 2007 14:04:46
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  18:34:32  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I read the first one, and it was so bad that I could not make myself read the second or third ones. However, the third one is buy the author who wrote the Baldur's Gate II and Baldur's Gate II: The Throne of Bhaal games, so I might go back and buy and read it at some point. Incidentally, he also wrote the Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic II games, as well as Darth Bane: Path of Destruction (which I have read and is an excellent novel).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  19:15:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM
However, the third one is buy the author who wrote the Baldur's Gate II and Baldur's Gate II: The Throne of Bhaal games, so I might go back and buy and read it at some point. Incidentally, he also wrote the Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic II games...

Just to clarify, Drew Karpyshen was one of a team of writers who worked on those games. He also worked on the new game Mass Effect (I think he may have even been lead designer/writer) and wrote a Mass Effect novel as well.

Also, he wrote the novel Temple Hill from the FR Cities series.

I thought the Baldur's Gate novel Karpyshen wrote was pretty good considering that he only had 250 pages to work with, and the fact that he had to work with the silly stuff established in the first two books (like the idiotic, supposedly Netherese name of the protagonist, "Abdel Adrian")

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 12 Dec 2007 19:17:30
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  21:08:50  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM
However, the third one is buy the author who wrote the Baldur's Gate II and Baldur's Gate II: The Throne of Bhaal games, so I might go back and buy and read it at some point. Incidentally, he also wrote the Knights of the Old Republic and Knights of the Old Republic II games...

Just to clarify, Drew Karpyshen was one of a team of writers who worked on those games. He also worked on the new game Mass Effect (I think he may have even been lead designer/writer) and wrote a Mass Effect novel as well.

Also, he wrote the novel Temple Hill from the FR Cities series.

I thought the Baldur's Gate novel Karpyshen wrote was pretty good considering that he only had 250 pages to work with, and the fact that he had to work with the silly stuff established in the first two books (like the idiotic, supposedly Netherese name of the protagonist, "Abdel Adrian")

Well met

Indeed, I quite enjoyed Baldur's Gate II, by Drew and thoroughly enjoyed Temple Hill

I always thought it a shame that we never saw more from this author (and that he couldn't be tracked down, as I always wanted to commend him on Temple Hill)

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2007 :  22:20:26  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I will definitely have to check out Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal and Temple Hill then!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Theophilus
Learned Scribe

Australia
143 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  00:22:27  Show Profile  Visit Theophilus's Homepage Send Theophilus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

I finally decided to read this novel because my current campaign will soon move in the Baldur's gate area.

I have read a lot of bad stuff about this novel over the years.

... ...

Hopefully, I've read more recent works of the author...

Who was saying that the Heroes of Phlan was the worst fiction of the Realms already?

I haven't read Baldur's Gate yet but I have been a little intemperate with my comments about the Phlan series - I think "lamentable dialogue" comes to mind. The 3rd in the series was ok, but I never really got over Captain Brittle!

Edited by - Theophilus on 13 Dec 2007 00:23:05
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  00:37:45  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

I always thought it a shame that we never saw more from this author (and that he couldn't be tracked down, as I always wanted to commend him on Temple Hill)

Yeah, I would have loved to see more FR novels by him, as well, although as I mentioned he's now writing novels for Bioware's IP Mass Effect.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  00:57:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's not forget his "Star Wars" novels either [or his contributions as Senior Writer for the KotOR CRPG] -- the second of which, Darth Bane: Rule of Two, will be released later this month.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  02:05:11  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought the BG novels were absolutely terrible...(although, in response to Jorkens, I couldnīt stop laughing at times during "Once around the realms"...not that I would take it seriously as a FR novel, but, I mean...undead elven ninja assassins? Rock!)

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  12:04:21  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow I didn't know he wrote for games. Nice!

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  12:46:59  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah right, Temple Hill wasn't all that bad, I really enjoyed it. Maybe BG II will get a second chance with me .
Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  13:00:29  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One thing I love about the BG novel is that it's set in 1368 DR, and it explicity states that the Bhaalspawn were conceived during the Time of Troubles (1358 DR), yet Adrian Abdel and Sarevok are fully grown adults . In the games, it's pretty heavily implied that Bhaal "did his business" sometime prior to the ToT (heck, in ToB he has a dragon as a grandson!)

Another funny thing in the novel is that the note Abdel finds on Gorion's body talks about "children of the Black Lord". "The Black Lord" is of course a title used by Bane, not Bhaal.

The novel also claims that the Iron Throne are a splinter group of the Zhentarim, which completely goes against everything we know about the group.

These are just three of many nitpicks and "notes of interest" regarding the BG novel which I compiled into a list a while back: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=5880

Edited by - nbnmare on 13 Dec 2007 13:07:36
Go to Top of Page

Nimriel
Seeker

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  14:28:00  Show Profile  Visit Nimriel's Homepage Send Nimriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never read any BG book's(read the name Adrian Abdel on the back and never looked at'em again+ I'm not a fan of Philip Athans), but I did like Darth Bane: PoD so maybe I should read the Karpyshyn(sp?) books.

Edited by - Nimriel on 13 Dec 2007 14:28:51
Go to Top of Page

Nimriel
Seeker

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  14:32:38  Show Profile  Visit Nimriel's Homepage Send Nimriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Indeed, I quite enjoyed Baldur's Gate II, by Drew and thoroughly enjoyed Temple Hill

Have you tried his email(contact@drewkarpyshyn.com)?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  14:52:06  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nbnmare

These are just three of many nitpicks and "notes of interest" regarding the BG novel which I compiled into a list a while back: http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=5880

It's amazing how such a simple, classic coming-of-age story got so badly mangled. Heck, I'd almost call it a sin!

Don't forget:

At the end of the novel during Sarevok's showdown with Abdel, he wears full plate armor AND casts arcane spells. The Sarevok in the game was just a fighter (not a mage), and according to the game rules back then he wouldn't have been able to cast spells in full armor even if he WAS a mage.

The Gorion in the game was a mage (the classic aged, wizardly mentor), but in the book he just fights with a stick.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 13 Dec 2007 14:56:06
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  16:09:49  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
The Gorion in the game was a mage (the classic aged, wizardly mentor), but in the book he just fights with a stick.

Didn't he cast an healing spell on Abdel (in the novel) ?
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  05:09:56  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You should have asked if it was worth reading before actually reading it, lol.

Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate is way more useful then the BG novels. I really wish the Neverwinter Nights anthology had been published, that had potential. Short stories about the NPCs and characters from the original NWN games.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000