Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Azuth and the Magister
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  15:43:58  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have a question for the experts here. What's the deal with Azuth? There seems to be almost no information on him. I would think that the god of Wizards/Mages would have more of a docummented history in the realms. It almost seems like he is as enigmatic as Vecna, God of secrets.

Also what's up with the Magister? What exactly is a magister? Are they similiar to Chosen, except they report to Azuth? Are they particularly powerful? Are the Good, Nuetral, or evil? What is their purpose?

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  17:04:51  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Faerūnian gods have got pretty much the same amount of real detail; Azuth is just one of those that's been spared distorting gods-as-people overexposure. By and large gods don't have a history in the Realms (rather their priesthoods do), and they're all enigmatic, despite some illusory appearances to the contrary.

The Magister is Mystra's personal champion; like her Chosen they're charged with promoting the Art, but unlike them it's a completely focused duty, they act as her public figurehead, and they don't serve as vessels for her essence as the Chosen do. They don't report to Azuth. They've ranged from gifted but divinely strengthened near-novices to great archmages, and have been of all alignments. See Secrets of the Magister for more.
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  17:10:48  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll add that probably the best 3e source on the magister is the template in Magic of Faerun. I don't recall there, but there are some details of Azuth's relation to the magister. (I'm not sure, but IIRC Azuth may have been a magister when he was a mortal --- anyone remember?)

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  17:15:58  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, he was the first. Magic of Faerūn increases Azuth's role in administering the office, but shouldn't be misinterpreted as having the Magister serve the High One rather then the Lady of Mysteries.
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2007 :  17:16:24  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seriously, I missed Secrets of the Magister when it first came out, but when I started rebuilding my 2nd edition collection via Paizo's PDFs, I got this, and honestly wanted to kick myself for not getting it back then. Even moreso when I realized that I didn't grab the old copy from the hobby shop bins a few months before I got the PDF.
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  08:32:16  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz
Also what's up with the Magister? What exactly is a magister? Are they similiar to Chosen, except they report to Azuth? Are they particularly powerful? Are the Good, Nuetral, or evil? What is their purpose?

To sum things up, the Chosen of Mystra are powerful divine agents, and Magister (there's just one) is the official "spokesmage" for Mystra, Azuth, and Savras. The office is administered by Azuth, and past Magisters tended to be recluses since the office, until recently, could be won via challenge-to-the-death. The current Magister is one Talatha Vaerovree of Innarlith on the Lake of Steam, who was literally unknown until she accepted the position.

Magisters could technically be of any alignment, but realistically, it's limited to any-non evil alignment. Talatha is more or less a wandering teacher, teaching people about magic and being a goodwill ambassador for the deities of magic.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2007 :  14:56:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

Magisters could technically be of any alignment, but realistically, it's limited to any-non evil alignment. Talatha is more or less a wandering teacher, teaching people about magic and being a goodwill ambassador for the deities of magic.

I just want to add, they can also be any race. In the past their has been dragons and beholders and other races that have been Magisters.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2007 :  01:18:58  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

I just want to add, they can also be any race. In the past their has been dragons and beholders and other races that have been Magisters.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2007 :  01:43:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks.

Indeed, some of the non human magisters are: a sun elf, a moon elf, a dark elf renegade from Sshamath, a black dragon, a weredragon, and a beholder mage.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 25 Nov 2007 01:46:28
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2007 :  01:49:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well now, I learn new things all the time (especially about the Realms).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2007 :  04:00:12  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed good stuff. Is there any info out there regarding Azuth's mortal life and subsequent ascension or is that just a rumor? I can envision Elminster as a logical replacement for Azuth if it were ever necessary.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2007 :  05:03:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Secrets of the Magister does touch on aspects of Azuth's existence somewhat.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  01:39:10  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So who is the Magister now?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  02:02:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the 3e Realms it was Talatha Vaerovree of Innarlith. With the "death" of Mystra in 4e though, I'm guessing that the office may now be defunct -- but we'll all have to wait and see what Ed's spin is on this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Darsson Spellmaker
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  06:32:36  Show Profile Send Darsson Spellmaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's some bits of Azuthan lore I can recall off the top of my head (Azuth being my favorite god, after all):
He was the first Magister, and while still a mortal, created the artifact known as The Belt of Stars and battled the demigod Savras.
When he gave up the office of the Magister, Azuth continued in Mystra's service as her first Chosen.
Azuth managed to steal a portion of Savras' divinity as well as imprison him in the Scepter of Savras.
Mystra sponsored him to full godhood soon after these acts.
Azuth was present at the death of the Tyche, and the twin births of Tymora and Beshaba.
During the Time of Troubles, Azuth stepped in to protect a statue of Mystra, in which she had placed a measure of her power, after one of his faithful wizards died protecting it from an undead horde.
Just some Azuth trivia for you guys.
Btw, Vecna, the Maimed God of Greyhawk fame, has had a lot more written about him than Azuth has. Pity, that.

"Know, O mages, that there is learning, and there is wisdom, and they are very far from being the same thing."--Azuth the High One, Utterances from the Altar: Collected Verbal Manifestations of the Divine and Most Holy Lord of Spells (holy chapbook, assembled by anonymous priests of Azuth circa 1358 DR)
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  06:58:18  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

The Faerūnian gods have got pretty much the same amount of real detail; Azuth is just one of those that's been spared distorting gods-as-people overexposure. By and large gods don't have a history in the Realms (rather their priesthoods do), and they're all enigmatic, despite some illusory appearances to the contrary.

The Magister is Mystra's personal champion; like her Chosen they're charged with promoting the Art, but unlike them it's a completely focused duty, they act as her public figurehead, and they don't serve as vessels for her essence as the Chosen do. They don't report to Azuth. They've ranged from gifted but divinely strengthened near-novices to great archmages, and have been of all alignments. See Secrets of the Magister for more.

As I recall, didn't one of the former Magisters became a Chosen of Mystra upon giving up the Magisterial office?

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  10:39:29  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh Azuth, the first Magister.
The Secrets of the Magister book is a most excellent one. It's interesting to read the diverse people who held that office. Shows the neutral aspect of Mystra/Mystryl v.2.0
I particularly enjoyed the rules/guidelines for having a PC Magister. I almost got to make use of it with one player.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  10:49:50  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

In the 3e Realms it was Talatha Vaerovree of Innarlith. With the "death" of Mystra in 4e though, I'm guessing that the office may now be defunct -- but we'll all have to wait and see what Ed's spin is on this.

Wasn't she in the short story by Ed called The Many Murders of Manshoon?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2011 :  14:21:53  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darsson Spellmaker

Here's some bits of Azuthan lore I can recall off the top of my head (Azuth being my favorite god, after all):
He was the first Magister, and while still a mortal, created the artifact known as The Belt of Stars and battled the demigod Savras.
When he gave up the office of the Magister, Azuth continued in Mystra's service as her first Chosen.
Azuth managed to steal a portion of Savras' divinity as well as imprison him in the Scepter of Savras.
Mystra sponsored him to full godhood soon after these acts.
Azuth was present at the death of the Tyche, and the twin births of Tymora and Beshaba.
During the Time of Troubles, Azuth stepped in to protect a statue of Mystra, in which she had placed a measure of her power, after one of his faithful wizards died protecting it from an undead horde.
Just some Azuth trivia for you guys.
Btw, Vecna, the Maimed God of Greyhawk fame, has had a lot more written about him than Azuth has. Pity, that.

Darrson Thanks! Never knew Azuth was the 1st chosen as well. I wonder when he was a mortal? Also based on his accomplishments perhaps it is safe to say the Mortal Azuth was the greatest spell caster the realms has ever seen...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000